• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 PROBLEMS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theanswer03

Hi everybody. I'm from italy so sorry for my english. i successfully pushed up my q6600 up to 3ghz. now i wanted reach 3.3 or 3.6gh. setting up the fsb to 370 the system crash after 2seconds everest stress test. so i raised up the vcore to 1.3 but nothing. my ram is working to 2.1v, corsair xms2 pc 6400 800mhz. NB set to auto SB AUTO ddr2 timings to 4-4-4-12. ddr2 frequency to auto.

what's the problem? my mobo is an asus p5k-se

thank you

First, set the memory frequency to 2:1 (I think, I'm out on a remote location now on my laptop) so that your memory runs at the same speed as your front side bus speed. I've seen auto set there cause the board to try running the ram at too high a speed and give crash or no boot situations. Also, lower the processor multiplier down to an 8 or 7, so that you can see how high a fsb speed you can run. What we want to do is to see if your board and ram can run at 400 fsb stably. Once you know your ram and mobo are stable at that speed, you can start working your overclock up to there. 400 X 9 multiplier will give you a 50% overclock on that Q6600. I have 2 Q6600 processors and one of them takes pretty high vcore to get to 3.6 and the other doesn't take nearly as much.

First, set the memory frequency to 2:1 (I think, I'm out on a remote location now on my laptop) so that your memory runs at the same speed as your front side bus speed. I've seen auto set there cause the board to try running the ram at too high a speed and give crash or no boot situations. Also, lower the processor multiplier down to an 8 or 7, so that you can see how high a fsb speed you can run. What we want to do is to see if your board and ram can run at 400 fsb stably. Once you know your ram and mobo are stable at that speed, you can start working your overclock up to there. 400 X 9 multiplier will give you a 50% overclock on that Q6600. I have 2 Q6600 processors and one of them takes pretty high vcore to get to 3.6 and the other doesn't take nearly as much.

frequency to 2:1 what tha means? fsb 333 and memory to 667? if i lower the multiplyer processor to 8 or 7 how far can i go with the fsb? i mean now with multi to x9 i need 400 to reach 3.6. if i lower to x8 i need 450 right? what's the difference between lower multi and higher multi?

thank you very much

i tried now. fsb 370 and dram follows so 1:1. the problem is the vcore. i need at least 1.4v to get 3.3 coz were unstable at 1.35v yet. so an unlucky cpu problably

hey man, im trying to do exactly what ur doing. can u tell me exactly how ur setts r in BIOS to be stable at 3Ghz?

I have an asus p5k and a q6600 cooled with a Thermalright True Copper + 2 120mm fans

frequency to 2:1 what tha means? fsb 333 and memory to 667? if i lower the multiplyer processor to 8 or 7 how far can i go with the fsb? i mean now with multi to x9 i need 400 to reach 3.6. if i lower to x8 i need 450 right? what's the difference between lower multi and higher multi?

thank you very much

the lower the multi the higher the FSB, the higher the FSB the better the bandwidth
Back in my Q6600 days I liked 450x8 gave 1081MHz ram and it was a good combo
1.40Vcore is a little much for 3.3GHz, my Q6600 needed 1.45 for 3.8GHz and 1.38 for 3.6GHz

3800final.jpg
3600_quad.jpg

My Q6600 can take alot of voltage. If you can keep it cool i would say 1.5v is ok to run (thats my opinion) Also if you guys are running 4 gigs of memory you could set the nb volts manually becuase auto could be overvolting or undervolting, My NB voltage is at 1.45. And when going for a overclock keep your ram timmings loose untill you have your proc where you want it then mess with the ram.

P.S. put you system spec in your sig so we can give you better advice.

Back