• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 with not so good oc cappabilities

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi,could it be that my mbo has too much vdrop so that it isn`t cpu`s fault?

Has anyone tried the newest F11 bios for ep45-ds3r from gigabyte?I don` know if i can flash it because it`s beta.Please answer.Thanks.

Has anyone tried the newest F11 bios for ep45-ds3r from gigabyte?I don` know if i can flash it because it`s beta.Please answer.Thanks.
Once i have flashed beta bios(when i had p35c-ds3) and i only have troubles with it..so i do not recomend to do it....

The MAX cappabilities of the Q6600 Vcore Voltage limit is 1.5v I really wouldnt surpass that even on water like me.... you should hit higher specially with that board. its a nice board certaintly better than what I got.... GL

The MAX cappabilities of the Q6600 Vcore Voltage limit is 1.5v I really wouldnt surpass that even on water like me.... you should hit higher specially with that board. its a nice board certaintly better than what I got.... GL

The board is ok,but it has a vdrop(1.425bios-1.33v full load) so i think that's the problem.

What is the right voltage: one in bios or the one at full load?
Example:i have in bios 1.425v(3.2ghz),but under occt the voltage drops to 1.33v,1.34v.Or i put 1.5v in bios and under full load it drops under 1.4v(1.39something).

i have the same problem with my qx6850 and my p5k i put 1.57v on bios and idle with cpu-z only read 1.488v and when it go to full load it shows 1.35-1.36v so idk what my problem but my chip with my mobo hit a wall at 4.10ghz the hiaghes i have got my cpu is 4.01ghz stable at 1.52v by cpu-z and in bios 1.63v

First off let me state I'm not an uber clocker, nor have I been very active as of late.

Idle or load voltages- Mainly I go with load, but running dc projects I'm usually at full load or off.

Start with the Overclocking sticky at the top of the page. Here's an explanation of the other voltages,http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40747. Like was mentioned, try to get the other voltages off "auto".

IMO, you get the other voltages figured out, you should be able to drop the vcore. I haven't run my vcores that high, as my temps usually went nuts long before that. (4 sticks of ram might not be helping you either, but get it stable, cooler,lower then you can look at that)
Not all of the q6600's are going to hit 3.6 and be happy. I've had 3, and only 1 would hit that, even then it was set for 3.4 for 24/7 use (temps)

First off let me state I'm not an uber clocker, nor have I been very active as of late.

Idle or load voltages- Mainly I go with load, but running dc projects I'm usually at full load or off.

Start with the Overclocking sticky at the top of the page. Here's an explanation of the other voltages,http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40747. Like was mentioned, try to get the other voltages off "auto".

IMO, you get the other voltages figured out, you should be able to drop the vcore. I haven't run my vcores that high, as my temps usually went nuts long before that. (4 sticks of ram might not be helping you either, but get it stable, cooler,lower then you can look at that)
Not all of the q6600's are going to hit 3.6 and be happy. I've had 3, and only 1 would hit that, even then it was set for 3.4 for 24/7 use (temps)

Temps are not a problem,i tried to increase other voltages to their allowed max and still nothing helped.I will read that link you've posted,so thanks.

I've worked with a few different q6600's, I would say with your chip you should aim for about 3.4ghz as close to 1.4V as possible. That was the sweet spot for a couple of my chips, voltage ramped up considerably for speeds higher than that. At that kind of voltage, I've seen degrading on q6600's, so you would likely lose your overclock over time anyways.

Also, consider running your ram at 2.1V if you're planning to clock higher than 800mhz. Most 800mhz ram will do close to 1066 at 2.10V if they're good chips. Even if you're not overclocking, you can experiment with a slight voltage bump, one of my installs needed this to remain stable.

I've worked with a few different q6600's, I would say with your chip you should aim for about 3.4ghz as close to 1.4V as possible. That was the sweet spot for a couple of my chips, voltage ramped up considerably for speeds higher than that. At that kind of voltage, I've seen degrading on q6600's, so you would likely lose your overclock over time anyways.

Also, consider running your ram at 2.1V if you're planning to clock higher than 800mhz. Most 800mhz ram will do close to 1066 at 2.10V if they're good chips. Even if you're not overclocking, you can experiment with a slight voltage bump, one of my installs needed this to remain stable.

NP,

Wouldn't running 2 RAM sticks instead of four help him too? Never had much luck optimizing overclocks with four RAM sticks.

Last edited:
My track record with 4 sticks isn't too well.

iwan-Not everything will be stable at higher voltages, sometimes you need to lower them a little for stability. I believe I had some ram rated for 1.8-2.0v, in real life anything above 1.86v and it was unstable. (bios settings)

More is not always better.

I've tried these settings for 3.6 and it is satble,but very high cpu voltage(1.62v bios):
Code:
Robust Graphics Booster ..............: [A]
CPU Clock Ratio ......................: [8X]
x Fine CPU Clock Ratio................: +0.0
CPU Frequency ........................: 3.6GHz( 450x8)

********** Clock Chip Control ********

>>>>> Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Clock Control................: [Enabled]
x CPU Host Frequency(Mhz).............: [450]
PCI Express Frequency(Mhz)............: [100]
C.I.A.2...............................: [Disabled]

>>>>> Advanced Clock Control..........: [Press Enter]
CPU Clock Drive.......................: [800mV]
PCI Express Clock Drive...............: [900mV]
CPU Clock Skew........................: [ 0ps]
MCH Clock Skew........................: [ 0ps]

******** DRAM Performance Control ********

Performance Enhance...................: [Standard]
(G)MCH Frequency Latch................: 333
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)........: [2.00B]
Memory Frequency(Mhz).................: 900
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)..........: [Auto]

****** Motherboard Voltage Control ******

Voltage Types..........Normal...........Current
-----------------------------------------------
>>> CPU
CPU Vcore..............1.27500V.......: [1.5]
CPU Termination........1.200V.........: [1.38]
CPU PLL................1.500V.........: [1.61]
CPU Reference..........0.760V.........: [.914]
>>> MCH/ICH
MCH Core...............1.100V.........: [1.4]
MCH Reference..........0.760V.........: [.914]
MCH/DRAM Reference.....0.900V.........: default
ICH I/O................1.500V.........: [1.570V]
ICH Core...............1.100V.........: [1.200V]
>>> DRAM
DRAM Voltage...........1.800V.........: [2.00V]

Everything else auto or default
I've tried with 1.60v but one core is not stable.Tried at 1.55v and could not boot.Could this be because of the mbo or cpu?

The best would be that you give your cpu to your friend that has similar mobo(if somebody has similar...), with this you would easily know is your cpu or mobo problem!

Back