• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 with P5N32-E SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlyCayer

Registered
Hello, I would like to overclock my CPU to maybe 2.8~ghz. Please give me the changes I must make to get there. I tried 3.0 GHz and It did not get past the post message... I don't know if this is normal. Please provide me all the changes I must make, Voltages, CPU FSB(btw my motherboard accepts unlinked mode) forget the ram I got plenty and at a good bus. I only need to get my CPU up, nothing else.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hardware:

MotherBoard: P5N32-E SLI
CPU: Q6600 G0
Video Card: SLI 880 GT(XFX) alpha dog version
Power Supply: 750 Watt Power Supply
Case: Antec 900 Hundred

Stock Temps under load:

Core 1: 58
Core 2: 52
Core 3: 57
Core 4: 54

Definitely unlink your memory so you can limit the things that can give you trouble while figuring your overclock out. Also your load temps sounds a bit high too. What are you using for a hsf on that Q6600?

I haven't tried running my Q6600 on an Nvidia chipset myself, so I can't really give you much help there on that score. My Q6600 has run on a P5WDH and presently on a GA-P35DS3L.

You may have better luck, but I'll just say my p5n32-e is up on the sale block due to it not playing well with my Q6600. As stated above, read through the sticky, and see what you can do. I wouldn't expect too much from that board, unless there is a BIOS update that made some good changes.

I have the same setup as you. simply select manual overclocking, unlink the ram and put in 1360 for fsb. For some reason anything ending in 60's seems to work well for me. That ended up being 3.06ghz, but it ran a tad hot for me and froze up under stress.

1260 will get you to your 2.8 mark

Also, give the AI Overclock a try. it comes at 5/10/15/20% intervals, start with 5 and keep booting up to see if you can run at 20%, or back it down. I can only run at 10%. 15% if I unlink the ram.

Also, anyone know why I'm running so freaking hot? ~3ghz I get 55C idle.. hit low 60's on 3dmark06, hit 70 on 3rd instance of prime95 and stopped after I wet myself :|

stock @2.4ghz I'm running ~40C (in Hawaii)

thermaltake armor, blue orb cooler

Hello, I would like to overclock my CPU to maybe 2.8~ghz. Please give me the changes I must make to get there. I tried 3.0 GHz and It did not get past the post message... I don't know if this is normal. Please provide me all the changes I must make, Voltages, CPU FSB(btw my motherboard accepts unlinked mode) forget the ram I got plenty and at a good bus. I only need to get my CPU up, nothing else.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hardware:

MotherBoard: P5N32-E SLI
CPU: Q6600 G0
Video Card: SLI 880 GT(XFX) alpha dog version
Power Supply: 750 Watt Power Supply
Case: Antec 900 Hundred

Stock Temps under load:

Core 1: 58
Core 2: 52
Core 3: 57
Core 4: 54

Been playing around since yesterday, keeping the memory linked at a 3:2 ratio, set the FSB to 1260 and you will hit 2.8. I just did that and I am running around 40c and 55 with 4xprime95 running

same board and cpu.

ok I OCed to 1260, running good for now... my temps are always under 62 underload.

ok I OCed to 1260, running good for now... my temps are always under 62 underload.

nice.. just use auto voltage.. auto works fine @1360 as well. beyond that I have to set the voltage high, ~1.4+ and it's just too hot for me.. :| the best I could stableise at was 1360, but full load sometimes locked me up.

If i ever get it stable at 3.2 I'll let you know what I did, but 2.8 seems good, and I can pull 15k off 3dmark06.

*if you ever screw up so bad that you can't even get into the bios, just pull the battery out for 10 seconds, and you're good to go! I freaked out the first time, but now I don't worry, and just tinker away.

I can attest that the P5N32-E SLI is fickle about running a stable overclock past 3.0Ghz. I had the E6750 CPU on mine and could not get a stable OC past 3.0Ghz...no matter what I tried. I had the Vcore maxed at 1.50 to keep it running stable, but since I have a Vigor Monsoon Lite CPU cooler, it never went beyond 32C fully loaded. Of course, the ambient temperature of the room plays an important role in Core temps as well. I always keep my pc room at or below 24C.
Today I changed to the E8400 CPU and will see how well this baby OCs.

Ok here is my problem, When i go over 1280 it posts perfectly but after the flashing underscore and windows loading screen it freezes, what makes this happend?

Also My computer takes 39 seconds to get to windows destop. How can i shorten this delay excluding the MSconfig...

Thanks in advance.

Ok here is my problem, When i go over 1280 it posts perfectly but after the flashing underscore and windows loading screen it freezes, what makes this happend?

Also My computer takes 39 seconds to get to windows destop. How can i shorten this delay excluding the MSconfig...

Thanks in advance.

I'm not 100% sure.. I'm still new to OCn as well, but I believe it's a lack of voltage to the cpu.. I just downloaded the newest bios for our board, 1404.. on the ASUS forum people say it's the most rock solid, but I cant get past 2.6... still working it

Thanks in advance.

couldnt gt 1404 to do more than 5%.. went to 1403 for bios.. WOW
cpu- 1.475v
1.2VHT- 1.30v
NB- 1.40
SB- 1.50
CPU VTT- 1.45

FSB 1430 unlinked gives a hair over 3.2ghz with 48C idle.. weeeeeee

couldnt gt 1404 to do more than 5%.. went to 1403 for bios.. WOW
cpu- 1.475v
1.2VHT- 1.30v
NB- 1.40
SB- 1.50
CPU VTT- 1.45

FSB 1430 unlinked gives a hair over 3.2ghz with 48C idle.. weeeeeee

With this mobo I could not get past 3.0Ghz stable...even at 1.5 Vcore. This was on the BIOS 1203. I tried the Beta BIOS 13--something(can't remember) and it caused some OS problems, so I reverted to 1203. With a good CPU cooler, that 48C could come down considerably. I never got over 34C with the Vigor Monsoon Lite CPU cooler on my E6750....while under heavy load. Also, consider the ambient temperature of the room. That affects the CPU temp as well.
Now that I have the E8400, I am getting 3.6Ghz at 1.26 Vcore and the CPU temp is maxed at 28C under heavy load. It pays to have a reliable CPU cooler.:)

With this mobo I could not get past 3.0Ghz stable...even at 1.5 Vcore. This was on the BIOS 1203. I tried the Beta BIOS 13--something(can't remember) and it caused some OS problems, so I reverted to 1203. With a good CPU cooler, that 48C could come down considerably. I never got over 34C with the Vigor Monsoon Lite CPU cooler on my E6750....while under heavy load. Also, consider the ambient temperature of the room. That affects the CPU temp as well.
Now that I have the E8400, I am getting 3.6Ghz at 1.26 Vcore and the CPU temp is maxed at 28C under heavy load. It pays to have a reliable CPU cooler.:)

give 1403 a shot. I tried it and was able to jump straight to a 1430 fsb.. 3.2ghz with 45C idle.

After it was semi-stable i was able to drop CPU voltage on my G0 to 1.2250! it just wouldnt run 4xprime95 (upped it to 1.28125)
Cpu on auto
1.2HT on auto
NB @1.40
SB @1.50
VTT @155

memory unlinked

give 1403 a shot. I tried it and was able to jump straight to a 1430 fsb.. 3.2ghz with 45C idle.

After it was semi-stable i was able to drop CPU voltage on my G0 to 1.2250! it just wouldnt run 4xprime95 (upped it to 1.28125)
Cpu on auto
1.2HT on auto
NB @1.40
SB @1.50
VTT @155

memory unlinked

I already updated my BIOS to 1403 prior to installing the E8400. I don't have the E6750 in my pc anymore. It's now in a box...waiting for someone to buy it:)
Semi stable? I figure it would be stable or not. On my mobo if I tried using 1.2250 Vcore at 3.2Ghz, my pc would have never posted with the E6750. I had to apply max Vcore @1.50 when it reached 3.2Ghz but it wouldn't run stable.

semi stable because 4xprime95 shot up to 70 real quick. would idle fine and do pretty much anything short of high end games. it just needed a voltage drop.

I was shocked it would post at 1.2250v. It just wasnt enough juicy to rune prime for very long.

i'm searching the net for 120mm fans since mine are only 1300rpm. I can safely stay at 3ghz topping out at 68C with case closed up. i figure a good intake and exhaust fan will let me do 3.2-3.6 (somewhere in the middle)

where did you find the 1403 bios? and, p.s: I got antec 900 hundred with my air conditoner in the front and it run under load very cold(30 degrees celcius)

Thanks in advance

EDIT: got any idea why i can't get to the windows loading screen when over 1280?

Also got any idea why Core Temp shows my VID to be 1.3250V when in my BIOS I setted up the VCore voltage to 1.85V????

Thanks

Last edited:
Back