• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9450 - Abit IP35 Pro OC Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cgardnerma

Quickly threw together the new system tonight with a chip I picked up at Microcenter for $349 (OEM):

Q9450
Abit ip35 Pro
4GB Patriot Viper 1066 RAM
EVGA 8800GTS 512MB
500GB WD disk
Antec Neo 550 PS
Antec 900 Case

Put it all together. Pretty sloppy. Will clean it up later. :) Updated IP35 BIOS to Beta 16 (needed for new Quads I guess). Changed FSB to 400. Touched nothing else. Posted at 3.2GHz. Seemed OK so I installed Vista. LOL! Seems fine so far.

No I need to go to bed. Tomorrow, I will install all the updated drivers, download some benchmarking and stability stuff and start pushing it to see where we get. Stay tuned.

Quickly threw together the new system tonight with a chip I picked up at Microcenter for $349 (OEM):

Q9450
Abit ip35 Pro
4GB Patriot Viper 1066 RAM
EVGA 8800GTS 512MB
500GB WD disk
Antec Neo 550 PS
Antec 900 Case

Put it all together. Pretty sloppy. Will clean it up later. :) Updated IP35 BIOS to Beta 16 (needed for new Quads I guess). Changed FSB to 400. Touched nothing else. Posted at 3.2GHz. Seemed OK so I installed Vista. LOL! Seems fine so far.

No I need to go to bed. Tomorrow, I will install all the updated drivers, download some benchmarking and stability stuff and start pushing it to see where we get. Stay tuned.

Sweet, how bout some screen shots? I have been tempted by a Q9450.

You and me both. It's just the 8x multi that's annoying me ;)

pffft 8x, like 9x for the E6600 helped.... :p

i just say make sure you have the newest beta 16 bios. posted in the abit forums for the 45nm cpu ocing,working multi changing,temp reporting.

Priming four instances right now at 3.4GHz. So far so good for 2 hours. Temps are OK although it seems weird that Coretemp shows such a disparity between cores. Running stock voltages. I did not touch the BIOS at all except for upping the FSB. Cooling is a Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

Q9450-34.jpg

Oh man, that's awesome. Almost a 1ghz OC without any increase in voltage!! hmmmmm I may have to get me one of these.

RealTemp show's it running 10 degrees cooler! If this new temp monitoring app is actually as accurate as claimed, that is pretty darn impressive. I have to say I put my fingers down near the base of the heatsink on the CPU and it is barely warm to the touch. Same with the NB heatsink on my IP35 Pro. Seems like it is just coasting along. I am pretty stoked.

RealTemp-34.jpg

Where do I find the PWM temps?

I am up and priming at 3.6GHz now. Been about 30 minutes. Prime95 failed quickly on one of the cores at stock voltage so I gave it a little bump. Now set at 1.2525V, but uGuru is still only showing 1.17V actual, so I think I am still quite safe (and quite low!). Coretemp showing 62C max, Realtemp shows 53C, and uGuru shows 40C, so who knows.

I also noticed that the BIOS set my DDR volts a 2.0V even though memory specs are for 2.3V. I set it at 2.2V for now. This is still a pretty mellow run with ony a tiny amount of voltage and reasonable temps. 3.6GHz on air appears to be easy at least with this MB/CPU combo. Good stuff. :)

Q9450-36.jpg

Have not been able to keep it stable at 3.6 yet. In fact, it will no longer post at 3.6 after a little abuse. :)

3.4 seems to be rock solid at stock volts though and very, very cool. I think we're seeing the typical FSB wall for quads. I will propbably play around with NB voltage later.

What voltage are you going to be willing to push it to? I think you are likely going to have to push it significantly higher than stock to get the numbers you want for a stable windows environment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that "FSB wall" implies stock voltages. Nobody here is making those kind of numbers on a quad with stock voltages so, imagine what you can get by pushing the fsb and vcore sequentially and short of what fsb your motherboard and ram can handle.

pffft 8x, like 9x for the E6600 helped.... :p

Have not been able to keep it stable at 3.6 yet. In fact, it will no longer post at 3.6 after a little abuse. :)

3.4 seems to be rock solid at stock volts though and very, very cool. I think we're seeing the typical FSB wall for quads. I will propbably play around with NB voltage later.

Told ya! :bday:

Oh wait, if you haven't played with the NB voltage yet...hmm....

Slight bump on NB voltage and slight bump on VCore and 3.6 is humming along nicely now. 1 hour plus on Prime across all 4 cores.

Q9450-36v2.jpg

PWM is at 69C.

Sorry kind of a nooB with the latest and greatest. I have been OC-ing since the Celeron 300A, but this is my first build in 3 years or so. Fun!!

Back