• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit IP35 Pro and Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoadknux

Hello everyone,

My motherboard is the abit IP35 pro, which was a pretty good motherboard when it came out, right about... 8 years ago :D
Ever since the day I got it, I was wondering about it's 2x PCI-E slots. One of them is 2.0 16x, while the other one is just 2.0 4x.
Now, I know there's a PCI-E 3.0, but from what I've heard, there's no noticeable performance loss when going using a 3.0 PCI-E card on a 2.0 PCI-E motherboard. However, what would happen if I were to use the other (4x) slot?
I'll be more specific, I can get 2x 270 ATI cards for cheap, and I think now would be a cool time to crossfire, because it always looked awesome when I was a kid. :attn:

So you know, CPU bottleneck aside, should I be able to crossfire on abit IP35 pro, and if I do this crossfire will I lose tons of performance based on the 4x slot?

Thanks! :salute:

PCI-E 2.0 x4 gives you 2 GB/s bandwidth, which is still enough to re-write the entire RAM space of that GPU every second, so I doubt it'd be any kind of noticeable performance hit, maybe 1 FPS.

Back