• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9550 @ 1.36V // 4.0Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did not re-seat my heatsink yet, but I'm running at 8.5x460=3.9Ghz. 1.280V under load.

I ran Prime 95 small FFT for 10 hours no errors = 72c / 67c / 68c / 68c.

Try the heatsink thing,like has already been mentioned. Once you are confident that you have you cooling the best it's going to get, then settle in for your Prime 95 runs.

Don't be hesitant to play with the HSF a little, larger fan, rotate the orientation, check the base. (does the side off the case improve temps?) What are your ambient temps like? I had one Xigmatec that the base was just a tic lower than the heatpipes, thus the heatpipes weren't making good contact. That one little ridge was good for 5c.

One core being off, no biggie. I've had 3 and they all did that.

Prime 95, personally I'll run it for 18-24 hrs on small ffts, then run it on the blend test. Even if you run one of our DC projects and your cpu is under full load 24/7, don't be surprised if temps drop 5c from your prime tests.

FWIW, above 3.8ghz on my q9550 took "fine tuning" of the other variables/voltages. I don't remember what ones, it's been about a year.

Try the heatsink thing,like has already been mentioned. Once you are confident that you have you cooling the best it's going to get, then settle in for your Prime 95 runs.

Don't be hesitant to play with the HSF a little, larger fan, rotate the orientation, check the base. (does the side off the case improve temps?) What are your ambient temps like? I had one Xigmatec that the base was just a tic lower than the heatpipes, thus the heatpipes weren't making good contact. That one little ridge was good for 5c.

One core being off, no biggie. I've had 3 and they all did that.

Prime 95, personally I'll run it for 18-24 hrs on small ffts, then run it on the blend test. Even if you run one of our DC projects and your cpu is under full load 24/7, don't be surprised if temps drop 5c from your prime tests.

FWIW, above 3.8ghz on my q9550 took "fine tuning" of the other variables/voltages. I don't remember what ones, it's been about a year.

I think 10 hours is a good test of reliability. My temps are under 72C right now under load. I do plan to re-seat the heatsink. I have a push/pull situation going on right now with my coolers output facing up directly towards the outtake of my 120mm fan so I dont want to rotate it. Ill examine my HSF and reapply the thermal paste. I need to clean out my PC anyway.

72*[email protected] is just fine. Intel says 1.3625 is the max for long term use, as well as 100*c being the max for long term use (at 1.3625vcore or less). Intel seems to define long term as making it out of their three year warranty.

High temps at high voltages is bad, low temps at high voltages is likely just fine, and high temps at low voltages should be just fine, too.

88*c is higher then i'd like personally, but i tend to keep my CPUs for rather of a long time (i just left socket A).

Turns out, when I went to re-seat my HSF the heatsink was caked with dust. A little duster took care of that. I now Idle around 32-39C. I've also managed to get my CPU stable at 3.91Ghz at 1.27v

Good enough for me XD

That is some solid volts there my man... Hopefully the load temps dropped to reasonable levels as well.

That is some solid volts there my man... Hopefully the load temps dropped to reasonable levels as well.

Very much so. I can't recall off the top of my head but I remember them being very reasonable. My friends are always up on the lateast tech. They both have I7 systems at stock speeds (2.66) with GTX295's at stock speeds. Myself have a solid near 4G system and an overclocked 5850 with dedicated PhysX ;-)

If only I could get them to OC and buy videocards based on Price/Performance.

I will get the full load temps posted this evening.

In Place Large FFT is giving me about 57 / 61 / 55 / 57c after 20 minutes. +/-3c.

Is this good? 1.27~1.28v 60c average @ 3.910Ghz??

Wow, you've got a nice overclock there. I hope I can do as well next week. What cooler and what case are you using?

Wow, you've got a nice overclock there. I hope I can do as well next week. What cooler and what case are you using?

OCZ Vendetta 2 and an Antec three hundred. I am also using OCZ Freeze thermal grease, very good stuff.

The CPU/FAN sit directly under a top mounted 140mm fan. I have the Vendetta2 turned so that the exhaust faces directly up into the top case fan. The HSF is probably 2-3 inches from the top case fan.... So in theory its kind of an unofficial push/pull system. The heat from the CPU immediately gets vented out the top.

OCZ Vendetta 2 and an Antec three hundred. I am also using OCZ Freeze thermal grease, very good stuff.

The CPU/FAN sit directly under a top mounted 140mm fan. I have the Vendetta2 turned so that the exhaust faces directly up into the top case fan. The HSF is probably 2-3 inches from the top case fan.... So in theory its kind of an unofficial push/pull system. The heat from the CPU immediately gets vented out the top.

Antec 1200 case
I use a tuniq tower extreme 120 im at 1.29vcore @ 3.901..
I idle at 23c and load at 37-43c
I hate my motherboard and ram so im stuck at 3.9

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8484/26563380.jpg

Last edited:
Antec 1200 case
I use a tuniq tower extreme 120 im at 1.29vcore @ 3.901..
I idle at 23c and load at 37-43c
I hate my motherboard and ram so im stuck at 3.9

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8484/26563380.jpg

I also have an Antec 1200 but my cooler is a arctic freezer 7 pro. My temps are 34C idle and 59C on load. I really like your cooler though. Do you have any pictures of the cooler in your case? If it looks good I will definitely get it!
Much appreciated! :D

here ya go

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2614/snc00105y.jpg

snc00105y.jpg

Back