• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad 120mm Dual Pass Heater Core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
50,000 hours actually. The D5 is a great pump. If you want to go cheap, skip ebay, I have a better option. Get two 3/4" NPT 1/2" barbs and a Via Aqua 1800 from DrsFosterandSmith.com. Its a great pump for the money and has proven to be rather reliable. I used RTV silicone to seal the barbs to the pump. Doing so made life much easier and very leak free.

Will one pump be good enough for that sucker? One normal heater core is more restrictive than a rad designed for watercooling a PC. That thing would be twice as bad,

The D5 pump is rated for 50000 Hours which is roughly 5 YEARS of non-stop operation. My spa company used to use this exact same pump in a AC version and some of them were running after 8 YEARS of 24/7 operation in 102+F water with all the harsh Chlorine or Bromine chemicals and people peeing in their water and whatever else grossness happens in a hot tub! Also I used to sell replacements for $160.00, so $75.00 for a well made and well engineered design that has been on the market since 1989 is a no-brainer for me!

If you do decide to go with the parallel set-up 3/4" tubing should be plenty to supply 2x 1/2" lines. The cross-sectional area of 3/4" is 2.25x bigger than the cross-sectional area of 1/2" so a single 3/4" is still 12.5% larger than 2x 1/2" lines.

Moto7451 said:
50,000 hours actually.
Oops! Missed a 0
Daddyjaxx said:
Will one pump be good enough for that sucker? One normal heater core is more restrictive than a rad designed for watercooling a PC. That thing would be twice as bad,
IDK about the cheaper pumps but an MCP655 will handle it with no problem! I've done a little experimenting with my system (see sig) and either pump can handle 2xPrime95 with 2x heater cores (in parallel), a Storm, 15' of tubing, and a non-running pump in the loop. Pump #1 by itself can keep the CPU temps constant even running on a P4 setting. Pump #2 solo needs to be slightly above P4 since it's not right in front of the Storm. Running either pump solo on P3.2 (day-to-day setting) raises the CPU temps by < 2°C ...

Last edited:
Back