• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any suggestions/ideas for my 1st WC setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadHatter

Registered
I am builidng a PC with these specs:
Gigabyte DS3 mobo
e6300 Allendale
2x GB DDR2 800
Geforce 7900 GS

I plan on OC'ing the proc and GPU, and so I've been researching a liquid system to keep temps low. Anyways, I plan on purchasing one of these WC sets to keep things cool....

Set 1:
DD MAG II - LE (39.95)
DD Dual 3.5" Res ($24.95)
Bonneville 77 heater core ($20)
tubing/connectors from Home Depot ($10)
Coolant fluid ($10)
DD Maze4 GPU ($35)
MCW30 (for NB)($30)
DD TDX ($50)

OR

Set 2:
TT BigWater 745 L.C.S. ($160)
TT Aquarius Series VGA ($32)
MCW30 ($30)

So...which set should I get, and what changes should I make to it?
Personally, I am leaning toward Set 2 because it comes with a 12cm rad and a 2x12cm rad (both of which I can fit in my case), and because it seems like an easier set up than Set 1. However, I am not ready to sacrifice cooling performance just because I don't want to get my hands dirty by going to the "Auto-Zone", finding said "heater core", and pitching together my own custom designed WC kit.

That's pretty much it...thanks in advance for helping me. :bday:

Would suggest set 1 DD stuff. From memory the TT Bigwater's only pushes 400l/hr as opposed to the DD's 500-odd litre flow rate. Generally more flow = better especially if you intend on putting a lot of things in your loop. I would say a heater core would be vastly superior to the TT radiators.

On the subject of flow, it might be a good idea to invest in a DD D5 pump (better flow and head pressure).

Also, TT aquarius imo looks like its designed for fairly small tubing, and although it comes with fittings to convert to 1/2" tubing, it will probably restrict flow somewhat to the rest of your components.

Just to give you an idea - I started off with the TT system and upgraded to my current sig components after finding the TT system totally inadequate. CPU runs on average 6-8 deg C cooler under load (full CPU and GPU loads) with the new system.

Better to spend the time and money up front and get the DD stuff imho than ending up $192 out of pocket when the TT ends up in the bin :) :)

Last edited:
Back