• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Soon, WC ideas, please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TOVIV

I have had the same build for a good 5-6 years now and I am finally about to do a fresh build.

I haven't touched water cooling in years (sadly, because I love it) and so I am VERY out of date/touch with EVERYTHING lol. (pretend I just never even knew what it was)

edit: when I say out of date I mean on WC set ups, I stay up to date on pc components as I am a tech by day for a pc repair shop.

My new build will be an 8350 cpu / 290x gpu build. I want to cool the cpu and gpu, and most kits seem to be for the only CPU type guys.

Budget is hopefully < 300.00. I don't mind ordering/building custom set ups or a kit if its better for the budget. I don't plan on OCing far, majority of it
is for the looks. Planning to have a UV green coolant and black lights in the case. Always wanted a glowing green WC set up haha!

Anyway, I don't know what the best blocks/pumps etc are these days or any new knowledge so PLEASE!!! what do you recommend!?!? Everything down
to the fittings, and ANYTHING required.

Help a newby out :)

edit: also, case will be the H440 from NZXT

What's your target OC frequencies? Since you have a limited budget, I guess we'll have to move with whatever you're gonna throw under those waterblocks. Ofc, we're talking about both CPU and GPU overclock, right?

I have had the same build for a good 5-6 years now and I am finally about to do a fresh build.

I haven't touched water cooling in years (sadly, because I love it) and so I am VERY out of date/touch with EVERYTHING lol. (pretend I just never even knew what it was)

edit: when I say out of date I mean on WC set ups, I stay up to date on pc components as I am a tech by day for a pc repair shop.

My new build will be an 8350 cpu / 290x gpu build. I want to cool the cpu and gpu, and most kits seem to be for the only CPU type guys.

Budget is hopefully < 300.00. I don't mind ordering/building custom set ups or a kit if its better for the budget. I don't plan on OCing far, majority of it
is for the looks. Planning to have a UV green coolant and black lights in the case.
Always wanted a glowing green WC set up haha!

Anyway, I don't know what the best blocks/pumps etc are these days or any new knowledge so PLEASE!!! what do you recommend!?!? Everything down
to the fittings, and ANYTHING required.

Help a newby out :)

edit: also, case will be the H440 from NZXT

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You could do it under $300. I did. I used many different brands of water blocks over the years. CPU block around $45-$65, GPU: $35-$55. Hose clamps and tubing from Home Depot $20, lets say $15-$20 for a reservoir, Swiftech MCP655-B 1/2in. Water Pump $85. Radiator, at least a double, $50-$60 and a few fans $10 ea. You can definitely put H2O system together for under $300 however it probably won't be the top end of the cooling spectrum. However it will work, I used a lot of different stuff over the years and most of it worked fine. You can also shop around and really find deals and sales on a lot of this stuff and save you more money to keep within your budget. I built a system years ago that was made up of some of the cheapest components I could find at the time even using a Chevy heater core as a radiator, with $30 water blocks, and it cooled fine. I actually pushed some interesting OC limits on water with an old Opteron system. That was built on a hybrid ghetto water cooling loop.

Well, that's a tall order to cool a CPU and GPU with only room for a 120.2 in that mid size case. You'll be in the 15c - 25c+ range me thinks. Still manageable but don't expect anything drastic.

I wouldn't go colored fluid as I would advise going with distilled water and a kill coil or deadwater for biocide with the choice of colored tubing, Primochill Advanced LRT.

I'd take a look at the Swiftech XL CPU block and the Swiftech MCP-50x pump as those both should run you just under $150. Tubing will cost another $10-$15 since this won't be a big loop. I'd also aim at grabbing a universal GPU block as they are more affordable than a full GPU block. Grab some affordable fittings, my guess is you're going to go with barb fittings and affordable tube/bay reservoir. As for the radiator, I'd look around and search what is the most common radiator used in your case. I would also consider going with a high FPI rad and mid to high RPM fans (Deltas) since you're space and budget limited.

Hope this helps and :welcome: to OCFs.

Well, that's a tall order to cool a CPU and GPU with only room for a 120.2 in that mid size case. You'll be in the 15c - 25c+ range me thinks. Still manageable but don't expect anything drastic.

I wouldn't go colored fluid as I would advise going with distilled water and a kill coil or deadwater for biocide with the choice of colored tubing, Primochill Advanced LRT.

I'd take a look at the Swiftech XL CPU block and the Swiftech MCP-50x pump as those both should run you just under $150. Tubing will cost another $10-$15 since this won't be a big loop. I'd also aim at grabbing a universal GPU block as they are more affordable than a full GPU block. Grab some affordable fittings, my guess is you're going to go with barb fittings and affordable tube/bay reservoir. As for the radiator, I'd look around and search what is the most common radiator used in your case. I would also consider going with a high FPI rad and mid to high RPM fans (Deltas) since you're space and budget limited.

Hope this helps and :welcome: to OCFs.

That was actually REALLY helpful! A lot of the info I was looking for! Thank you VERY MUCH!!! :D :):thup:

Question: what size tubing would I be going with or does it matter? I figure it's probably specific to the pump/etc, but is there one I should shoot for? Or is the difference minimal?

Back