• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad-Core 2.66 GHz --> 3 GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your cooler isn't a high end air cooler by any means, its great for dual core OCing but quads not so much. Either way 3ghz should be fine, but can depend alot on your specific situation, ie case airflow, fan RPM etc.

35C to tjmax is roughly 60C, a bit warm but hardly something to be worried about. 30C to tjmax should be around 65C core temperatures, which most people like to keep it at or below, though you could go higher for OC purposes assuming you understand all the risks involved in the first place.

Well, my TJMax is 105c. And I'd have to say that the airflow in this case is pretty nice - not including the RAM fans, the Northbridge fan, the Video Card fan, and the heat-sync fan, this case has 6 awesome fans all around it. In any case, as I said previously, it's not going below 35 degrees to TJMax so... This is okay? I know you said it is but there's just something missing here. This is the first time I'm doing this and I did everything correctly on my first guess? There's just something missing and I feel like my system will fry in a week or something...

Well, my TJMax is 105c. And I'd have to say that the airflow in this case is pretty nice - not including the RAM fans, the Northbridge fan, the Video Card fan, and the heat-sync fan, this case has 6 awesome fans all around it. In any case, as I said previously, it's not going below 35 degrees to TJMax so... This is okay? I know you said it is but there's just something missing here. This is the first time I'm doing this and I did everything correctly on my first guess? There's just something missing and I feel like my system will fry in a week or something...

for the cooler you have the distance to TJmax looks good for the oc. i would suspect you can take it to 3.2ghz and possibly be right around 30-32c distance to TJmax. with 1.3v cpuvoltage is the what is showing in CPUz? if so then imo it is really high for that oc. as Q6600's can do 3ghz with no cpu voltage increase and they are stock at 2.4ghz. in turn if you dont need 1.3v to be stable at 3ghz, then the cpu is just putting out more heat.

Woa... I think I'd die before I read all that and figured it all out. Just saying what I think so sorry if it offends, but, if I wanted to do all that research and reading, I wouldn't have posted a thread asking about this very situation. I thought this would be like cake for most of you guys, lol.

I don't want to take credit.

lol when i got my sig rig i was like BAM 266 FSB up to 320 FSB, stable for 10 mins, BAM whack the FSB up to 420 something - tada!

Sigh

he doesnt want to do the research

Just try this

1.35 CPU vcore
1.4v NB Vcore
2.15v RAM
1.32-1.34v CPU VTT Voltage
375FSB

Tada

Not the best OC in the world but as long as the temps stay below 68 or whatever

Another case of all the gear no idea

Well, that's the reason I came here <.<

You must understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. If you cant understand what everyone is telling you then you MUST do some RESEARCH aka "stickys" see above post's. If you still dont understand you should not be overclocking.IMO.

You must understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. If you cant understand what everyone is telling you then you MUST do some RESEARCH aka "stickys" see above post's. If you still dont understand you should not be overclocking.IMO.

So far, I understood what everyone told me besides that one setting Evilsizer was talking about which I understood when he told me what to do - which made me realize what he was talking about. I've just never done this before and something just seems off by the way things are going. Everything went TOO smoothly although I should probably lower the voltage and see what happens.

So far, I understood what everyone told me besides that one setting Evilsizer was talking about which I understood when he told me what to do - which made me realize what he was talking about. I've just never done this before and something just seems off by the way things are going. Everything went TOO smoothly although I should probably lower the voltage and see what happens.

newer intel cpus are much easier to oc then they use to be....

To be good at overclocking, I hate to say it, but it requires ALOT of reading. This is a summary of all the replies in this thread:

"keep temps under 65C under load. u need to test it for 24 hours. 50s seem to be warm at idle idle temps arent as important as load temps. run prime on all 4 cores for 10 mins and report them back here.
That's quite offensive. Are you blaming him for not answering your question entirely?

Have you read the guidelines? It specifically states that you should search the forums before starting a thread. While it is unofficial, it's considered an unwritten rule.

4... If you are a beginner, chances are good that your question has already been asked and answered numerous times. Use the forum search function to check it out and see if this is the case. Look at the articles on the home page. Half the time, your answer is probably right there.

It is there but I won't tell you. DIY. I'll agree partially. More often than not, it relates to the load temperature. If only load temps were lower than idle .

I find that OCCT gives even higher temps and find errors better than prime. Do run both for 24hours or so. That's just my experience. Sorry, just being over sensitive.

Anyway, i'll give you some links. 2 actually. Hope it helps!

Old, guidelines and introduction: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=263753
Newer, relevant to your situation: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316 AND http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647
lmao i cant believe you dont want to read a how to overclock guide....talking about lazy...

anyways keep the load temps at 65 or lower...try reseating your heat sink maybe thats why your getting higher temps

and before you start upping the voltage find the lowest voltage your cpu can operate at stock speeds then take it from there

so lets say at stock your cpu can work at 1.2 up the fsb a little and prime for an hr or 30 min.. if all is good up it a little more and if you get errors up the voltage a notch

keep doing that untill you get to the speed you want to be at then run prime over night to make sure everythings good

to be honest i never run prime for more than 2 hrs...way i see it my cpu is never going to see 100% usage for more than 20 min so if its prime stable for 2 hrs its more than enough to keep my pc stable for regular usage but some ppl feel safer running prime for 12hrs...the choice is yours... load temps are a bit hot for stock, you're still @ stock speeds right? What kind of heatsink do you have?
EVERY CPU, responds diferently when ocing. just like every person has there "one thing" they do better then others. Forget reading temps in the normal sense, use distance to Tjmax in coretemp or realtemp. then since our cpu is Q9450 45nm stick with a buffer of 30C to Tjmax. now the big problem your ocing on a board that is not listed by NV to support 45nm quads. for the most part i have seen people be able to run them stock speeds and not oc them at all. im just going to say its time for a new board for that 45nm quad.
ok then go search for wolfdale under cpus at newegg, tell me what you find... to shorten it up wolfdale=dual core, Yorkfield=quad core, both names for 45nm cpus.

not sure how to make it more understandable but here goes. since temp sensors in the cpu seem to not work correctly. what does work is the report of distance to Tjmax. which is the max temp the DIE can reach to still run. in ocing a distance of 20c on 65nm cpus was used. as if you went past 20 like 18 you would get errors or i did anyway. same applies for 45nm cpus but at 30c since they seem to need a bigger buffer, as i was under 30 for mine at one point getting a few errors. once i got to 30 or over like 35, no more errors.
this is what you would want Coretemp to report
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...er/coretmp.jpg
go to Options->settings,put a check in "show delta to Tjunction max temp".
Your cooler isn't a high end air cooler by any means, its great for dual core OCing but quads not so much. Either way 3ghz should be fine, but can depend alot on your specific situation, ie case airflow, fan RPM etc.

35C to tjmax is roughly 60C, a bit warm but hardly something to be worried about. 30C to tjmax should be around 65C core temperatures, which most people like to keep it at or below, though you could go higher for OC purposes assuming you understand all the risks involved in the first place.
for the cooler you have the distance to TJmax looks good for the oc. i would suspect you can take it to 3.2ghz and possibly be right around 30-32c distance to TJmax. with 1.3v cpuvoltage is the what is showing in CPUz? if so then imo it is really high for that oc. as Q6600's can do 3ghz with no cpu voltage increase and they are stock at 2.4ghz. in turn if you dont need 1.3v to be stable at 3ghz, then the cpu is just putting out more heat.
lol when i got my sig rig i was like BAM 266 FSB up to 320 FSB, stable for 10 mins, BAM whack the FSB up to 420 something - tada!

Sigh

Just try this

1.35 CPU vcore
1.4v NB Vcore
2.15v RAM
375FSB

Tada

newer intel cpus are much easier to oc then they use to be...."

At that rate you could have just read the sticky, and you probably would have been better off. All the stickies here are here for a reason, and they work wonders if you don't know what your doing. Which you have stated multiple times you don't.

To be good at overclocking, I hate to say it, but it requires ALOT of reading. This is a summary of all the replies in this thread:

"keep temps under 65C under load. u need to test it for 24 hours. 50s seem to be warm at idle idle temps arent as important as load temps. run prime on all 4 cores for 10 mins and report them back here.
That's quite offensive. Are you blaming him for not answering your question entirely?

Have you read the guidelines? It specifically states that you should search the forums before starting a thread. While it is unofficial, it's considered an unwritten rule.

4... If you are a beginner, chances are good that your question has already been asked and answered numerous times. Use the forum search function to check it out and see if this is the case. Look at the articles on the home page. Half the time, your answer is probably right there.

It is there but I won't tell you. DIY. I'll agree partially. More often than not, it relates to the load temperature. If only load temps were lower than idle .

I find that OCCT gives even higher temps and find errors better than prime. Do run both for 24hours or so. That's just my experience. Sorry, just being over sensitive.

Anyway, i'll give you some links. 2 actually. Hope it helps!

Old, guidelines and introduction: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=263753
Newer, relevant to your situation: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316 AND http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647
lmao i cant believe you dont want to read a how to overclock guide....talking about lazy...

anyways keep the load temps at 65 or lower...try reseating your heat sink maybe thats why your getting higher temps

and before you start upping the voltage find the lowest voltage your cpu can operate at stock speeds then take it from there

so lets say at stock your cpu can work at 1.2 up the fsb a little and prime for an hr or 30 min.. if all is good up it a little more and if you get errors up the voltage a notch

keep doing that untill you get to the speed you want to be at then run prime over night to make sure everythings good

to be honest i never run prime for more than 2 hrs...way i see it my cpu is never going to see 100% usage for more than 20 min so if its prime stable for 2 hrs its more than enough to keep my pc stable for regular usage but some ppl feel safer running prime for 12hrs...the choice is yours... load temps are a bit hot for stock, you're still @ stock speeds right? What kind of heatsink do you have?
EVERY CPU, responds diferently when ocing. just like every person has there "one thing" they do better then others. Forget reading temps in the normal sense, use distance to Tjmax in coretemp or realtemp. then since our cpu is Q9450 45nm stick with a buffer of 30C to Tjmax. now the big problem your ocing on a board that is not listed by NV to support 45nm quads. for the most part i have seen people be able to run them stock speeds and not oc them at all. im just going to say its time for a new board for that 45nm quad.
ok then go search for wolfdale under cpus at newegg, tell me what you find... to shorten it up wolfdale=dual core, Yorkfield=quad core, both names for 45nm cpus.

not sure how to make it more understandable but here goes. since temp sensors in the cpu seem to not work correctly. what does work is the report of distance to Tjmax. which is the max temp the DIE can reach to still run. in ocing a distance of 20c on 65nm cpus was used. as if you went past 20 like 18 you would get errors or i did anyway. same applies for 45nm cpus but at 30c since they seem to need a bigger buffer, as i was under 30 for mine at one point getting a few errors. once i got to 30 or over like 35, no more errors.
this is what you would want Coretemp to report
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...er/coretmp.jpg
go to Options->settings,put a check in "show delta to Tjunction max temp".

Sigh

Just try this

1.35 CPU vcore
1.4v NB Vcore
2.15v RAM
375FSB

Tada

newer intel cpus are much easier to oc then they use to be...."

At that rate you could have just read the sticky, and you probably would have been better off. All the stickies here are here for a reason, and they work wonders if you don't know what your doing. Which you have stated multiple times you don't.

I appreciate the time you took to partially help me, but really, you spent that time more to insult me. I understand what most people on this forum are all about and they'd rather spend time to insult than to help though I did receive help here, thanks. I've posted this on three other forums and got instant help which didn't involve any statements directed towards me in any way. Guess respect was lost here on the lines of all the past arguments I've heard so much about between members. Sorry - but I wasn't a part of it. Thanks to all that helped but that'd be all. Nobody needs to waste any more energy to frolic around and kiss each other in the *** with agreement that the rookie IS IN FACT, A ROOKIE! What a shocker!

I appreciate the time you took to partially help me, but really, you spent that time more to insult me. I understand what most people on this forum are all about and they'd rather spend time to insult than to help though I did receive help here, thanks. I've posted this on three other forums and got instant help which didn't involve any statements directed towards me in any way. Guess respect was lost here on the lines of all the past arguments I've heard so much about between members. Sorry - but I wasn't a part of it. Thanks to all that helped but that'd be all. Nobody needs to waste any more energy to frolic around and kiss each other in the *** with agreement that the rookie IS IN FACT, A ROOKIE! What a shocker!

:confused: Instantly on the defensive when this is probably the best forum to use to get the CORRECT help.

I was just pointing out that yes, you are a rookie. But when suggested to read aforementioned information provided in the stickies, which would provide you with more than adequate information about overclocking and answer most of your questions, you just scoff at the suggestion, and pick up a "I didn't come here to read, I came here to get answers" attitude, which honestly won't fly here. It reminds me of an old saying, "Give a man a fish, and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime". You just want the fish. And with that, I bid you good day.

I was just pointing out that yes, you are a rookie. But when suggested to read aforementioned information provided in the stickies, which would provide you with more than adequate information about overclocking and answer most of your questions, you just scoff at the suggestion, and pick up a "I didn't come here to read, I came here to get answers" attitude, which honestly won't fly here. It reminds me of an old saying, "Give a man a fish, and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime". You just want the fish. And with that, I bid you good day.

Actually, I learn from doing things, not reading them. So SEEING how to catch that fish would be enough to teach me rather than a whole verbal explanation. With that, I bid you good day. I could be a smartass too.

Back