• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 2700K to 5.0 GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WIls1337

Hi guys

I followed this guide (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...Beginners-How-to-set-your-25-6-700K-to-4-5Ghz)
And have a stable OC at 4.5 GHz at 1.33 V. System is still very cool, around 50 degrees Celsius after 6 hours of Prime95 and an Intel Burn test. LLC was set to 75% to make this stable

Making an assumption that I have plenty of head room temperature and voltage wise to chase down a 5.0GHz OC. But in the guide post it mentioned starting a new thread for obtaining speeds over 4.5 GHz

Is there any thing additional I need to know, or do I keep increasing core clock and voltage until I find stability. With out going over 1.4V ?

Additional side note, I can not select XMP on my MB and my RAM speed was set manually off the manufacturers spec sheet. (I do not know if this makes a difference)

you'll be good up to 1.45v.

I ran my 2600K's in the 1.45v+ range folding Rosetta without any sign of degradation.

Just take one step at a time, when really starting to push the voltage your chip needs for that extra 100 mhz will increase significantly. Try 4.6 see what it needs to be stable rinse and repeat.

does it boot windows @ 5 with 1.45 v ?
just a quick and dirty test .

some chips are just better than others I have seen ppl benching @ 5ghz with my chip @ 1.3-1.4v I need 1.6-1.7v to see 5ghz

Thank you for the responses.

As I like quick and dirty things lol. I will try and boot Windows @5 with 1.45. Is the next step here run Prime / Burn at this?

If I am unable to boot @5 with 1.45 plan B will be slow increments. 4.6 to 4.7 to 4.8 Etc until 1.45 is no longer stable.

Plan to update results to this post after the weekend

Yes if it will boot at 5.0 @ 1.45 stress it if it passes and you're temps are good you can see if you're able to lower the voltage. It's going to be trial and error. I have a 2500k I can run at 5.3 on air with 1.48 v not stable and 5.2 at the same voltage prime stable. Obviously, it's not the same chip only 4c not 4c/8t so you may need more voltage. I also, do not recommend running that much voltage 24/7, unless you do not care about degradation.

Sorry to bring up a dead horse did you ever get 5.0 running? I have had mine reach 5.2Ghz idle at 65-70c and 5.0 idle at 55c, running @ 1.45v-1.5v if I find those numbers ill post em after work (Note: this is on a fatal1ty z77 board w Noctua NH-D14 cooler.

- - - Updated - - -

Mind this 5.0-5.2 clock is not stable at 100% load only stable w day to day use gaming ect @80-90% cpu load but 4.8-4.9 @ 1.4v is do able.

Your right, keep the voltage, and start from 4.6Ghz stress it really fast, then move on to 4.7Ghz and stress it, then 4.8Ghz and so on. Your chip might stop OCing for you after 4.8Ghz. That 200 megahertz isn't going to do anything, I promise you won't see the difference in the real world.

Last edited:
Organik, you're kidding right? Idle at 65-70 is okay? He's not even stable there, that means he'll have to bump vcore more!

Who knows what he is replying to. Organik has a bad habit of reading the first post and replying.

If anyone reads this, leave offset alone for now. He limes to spam that advice on the forums.

Reality is as Alaric already stated the OP hasn't been here since the 1st post. Though "put it on Offset and let it do the work for you?" Really? :facepalm:

????????????????????????

Was that off topic or useful? Between you and him, its like a spam fest, I swear. :rofl:

:forecast:

Aye sir! That was in response to Mandrakes comment about Organiks post. Organik is a genius man according to this project work. He mentioned it a few times, probably knows what he's talking about then..:shrug:

Been quiet, so I'm guessing it's a trap.
.....can't......ressist......

Okay. I'll bite. I'm not sure what it's all about really. When someone else derails, it's all :rofl: :rofl: but when taco uses a wrong wovel in a thesis statement, it's:mad::snipe::snipe::snipe:

Last edited:
Im sorry to anyone that got offended with my OFFSET suggestion. Also LLC of course. I know a few people with different mobo and chip. We tried to overclock them and I did, but they were greedy so we kept touching the voltage and couple from my group just kept on freezing and windows not starting etc etc. I then said let me take it off manual and just put OFFSET and LLC and wala. Both of them got higher clocks and stable. So Im speaking from my experience. If I am wrong then sorry to offend you, but once again Im talking from experience with OFFSET and LLC is all you need to touch. ranting a bit sorry. Anyhow take care all! Only concern whatever you OC to, OFFSET knows what to do, so if you go for a high overclock and put OFFSET with LLC then your going to get high voltage and possibly heat issues unless your cooling off your rig properly. So then you have to go to manual vcore. you can take that offset voltage you got and in manual decrease in small increments. Just decreasing it slowly until it crashes,, then move up the vcore a tad,, so on and so forth. Good Luck

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Sorry to bring up a dead horse did you ever get 5.0 running? I have had mine reach 5.2Ghz idle at 65-70c and 5.0 idle at 55c, running @ 1.45v-1.5v if I find those numbers ill post em after work (Note: this is on a fatal1ty z77 board w Noctua NH-D14 cooler.

- - - Updated - - -

Mind this 5.0-5.2 clock is not stable at 100% load only stable w day to day use gaming ect @80-90% cpu load but 4.8-4.9 @ 1.4v is do able.

Very impressive OC Mandrake ........ Ya don't worry about darn benchmarks giving you high temps. You will never reach those temps in daily tasks and what not. Playing games the most the CPU gets taxed is maybe 60 percent on recent chips, I don't know about Sandy, Alto my old man has a Sandy 2600k . It has served him well for over about 8 years. He does Video Editing and rendering with Premiere and Vegas and he has no complaints. Also he uses photoshop and apps a like. He has 16GB RAM. Never a hitch. 5 minute video takes about 5 minutes to finish. :) Don't forget back in the 90's if you wanted to render with studio max or Maya or Vegas,, a 10 minute would take hours. A 2 hour video, you can go on vacation and come back and its still doing it.. LOL sighs Grab a coffee go do your thing, Take a nap wake up and all done. :) NOT ... still couple days to go. We have come a long way guys. Thanks to uncle billy and intel... :)

Last edited:
It isnt about offending anyone... you are missing the point. The point is just generically telling people to use offset in most threads. As we said, and displayed, offset isnt an on/off thing on the majority (all?) Of boards. It needs to be supplemented with actual voltage (glossed over that point).

Again, it isnt offensive, but more incomplete and frankly incorrect advice. Im glad it worked for you on whatever chip and platform, but it doesnt seem like it was used right considering you turned it on and didnt adjust a thing. Any boards with an adjustment (as yours does) it shouldnt change anything unless a value is input for the offset.

Back