• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Quad radiator in HAF 932 project thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xfullboost

Registered
:::::::::::::::::UPDATE 6/16/11:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Leds installed. pretty much done
DSC00146.jpg
DSC00118.jpg
DSC00123.jpg
DSC00143.jpg
DSC00116.jpg
DSC00142.jpg
DSC00140.jpg DSC00139.jpg
DSC00131.jpg
DSC00132.jpg
DSC00130.jpg
DSC00127.jpg
DSC00124.jpg

:::::::::::::UPDATE 6/14/2011:::::::::::::::::::::::::

latest pictures of the build. Dual loop installed with the XSPC dual mcp35x. leds are only thing thats left.

DSC00094.jpg
DSC00095.jpg
DSC00096.jpg
DSC00097.jpg
DSC00099.jpg
DSC00092.jpg

Long time viewer, first time poster.

First off, I'd like to say thank you all for the knowledgeable posts I've been reading to start this project. I am building a fully internal water cooling setup inside my HAF 932. There will be one loop to the CPU for now. I have already purchased parts and installed the quad radiator inside the top of the case. All it took to fit the radiator inside the case was the removal of a piece of sheet metal via Dremel. While my case is stripped, I am going to paint the inside primer black.

Water cooling parts list:
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
Rad: Swiftech MCR-420 QP
Fans: (8) Coolermaster R4 in push/pull @1000rpms
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry LX
Pump: MCP350 12 VDC pump
Pump top: Laing DDC pump clear acrylic
CPU block: Koolance CPU-360
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-Micro rev 2 w/ Phobya temp sensor
Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2 ID clear
Fittings: Assorted 1/2 ID fittings with zip ties as clamps
Fillport: Danger Den

PC parts list:
Mobo: ASUS crosshair IV formula
CPU: AMD 1090t x6
RAM: OCZ gold 1600 4x2gb
GPU: Asus AMD Radeon HD 6970 w/ Arctic Cooling Accelro Xtreme Plus
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 750w modular
Fans: Coolermaster (1)230mm + (1)140mm
LEDs: NZXT 24" sleeved LED string
HDDs: OCZ Vertex3 120gb, Western Digital Black 1tb, WD Green 2tb

Pictures as on 5/15/11

HPIM0719.jpg HPIM0720.jpg HPIM0721.jpg HPIM0722.jpg HPIM0727.jpg HPIM0729.jpg HPIM0731.jpg HPIM0734-1.jpg

Last edited:
update

The Asus Crosshair IV Formula started acting up on me 2 days ago. I think I damaged the network controller while moving it from my case somehow. Luckily I have a 2 year replacement policy. Microcenter gave me a brand new c4f for free!

The tubing arrives tomorrow.

I am having trouble finding those long radiator screws used to hold fans onto radiators. my mcr did not come with any, and i had a couple extra lying around. does radioshack or home depot stock these kind of screws?

HPIM0739-1.jpg
HPIM0741-1.jpg
HPIM0740-1.jpg

IT WORKS!

HPIM0742-1.jpg

theres a tiny leak from the radiators fittings. Theres no clamps on them because of the test run of the loop. Plus I had to use a right angle fitting to get the tube to run behind the radiator. Tomorrow i'm picking up all new ghost fittings, with a higher quality 90 degree rotary fitting for the back of the radiator. Then if all goes well, I'll reinstall my components back in the case! Success!

Last edited:
ghost fittings and primochill ice blood red!

loop is totally silent and runs fine. going to install all the real components tomorrow.

oh and i picked up a waterblock for the 6970

HPIM0743-1.jpg

Last edited:
Latest pic
HPIM0744-2.jpg
So my loop sprang a leak today. I found out the hard way, when attatching ghost fittings, both the fitting and the hose need to be bone dry, or the tube will slide right off and leak.

it caused my 6970 to go nuts. but after a careful clean, its ok. i replaced the hoses and while the loop was drained, installed the waterblock to the 6970. temps are still fantastic.

while playing test drive unlimited 2 for an hour, the cpu got to 34c, and the gpu hit 44c. not bad eh?thats 10c cooler than the arctic cooling accelero.

im going to replace all the clear masterkleer tubing with uv red primochill lpt. the masterkleer got cloudy way too quick, so im done with clear tubing for now.

also, my nzxt sentry lx really cant handle 8 R4 fans. it beeps every 5 minutes. so i am looking at getting the sentry lxe, which gives more watts to each channel. so hopefully it will power 2 fans per channel better than its predecessor has.

also, next week the EK full cover crosshair iv waterblock will be here. that should finaly complete my loop. with temps this low, im not too worried about adding anothing component to my block. my little mcp350 with laing top is doing just fine.

im still on the fence about final placement of the reservoir. i cant see it through the window where its been mounted. i tried moving it down, but ive already drilled a hole for the fillport and they simply dont line up without expensive 45 degree fittings.

stay tuned!

So I changed the layout of my loop today. I wanted to see if I'd get the same cooling performance with a longer loop. The short answer is, yes.

The loop now covers the entire case, with the pump down in the bottom corner below the hard drives. To my surprise I was able to fit a tube behind the motherboard. This is a real testament to the space of the HAF 932.

I have given up on the NZXY Sentry LX powering all 8 of my fans. It simply cannot do it. So I dug up an old generic 4 fan controller, and split the duties between them. The best part is, I am now running all 8 fans at max rpms :)

This setup was just a trial. I have brand new translucent red tubing I am going to put in as my final setup. I just may wait a week until the EK waterblock arrives for the crosshair IV.

HPIM0745-1.jpg
HPIM0746.jpg
HPIM0747.jpg
HPIM0748.jpg

Dont mind the mess of wires. I had to undue all of my cable management to run the new loop. It'll be organized by project end.

the fan nearest the front of the case on the rad, how is that venting? looks like it has very little space for air to flow in/out.

its venting fine. I cut a hole above it where the tray used to be. And there is nothing in the 5.25 bay below it. The fan controller is thin. I changed to a different controller all together and moved it to the bottom right above the dvd drive.

I am about to install the ek mobo block and second mcp35x. this is my diagram for what it should look like. please leave your comments as i am still new to this.

watercoolingloop.png

Well the build has come a long way since the first post. I updated that first posts with current pics. instead of having that y adapter, i went with two loops. 2 mcp35x, XSPC dual bay dual mcp35x.

Back