• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 4: Comments

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

I wanted to see some hard evidence, that Quake4 is even worth buying in terms of gameplay. Has anybody played it yet? ID made a terrible mistake, by not releasing a demo beforehand, they could have had a lot more customers if the demo had been released a week before the hard copys release, does ID deserve my $50? You tell me.

for the record ID has never (to my knowledge) released a demo beforehand.

i'm gonna pick it up later today or tomorrow morning... i'll tell u how i like it :D

According to the people on IRC (#2k4tdm / #2k4ctf) all the competitive players (the kind of people that I hang out with) saying they were instantly good at the game / is just like Q3. I'll wait for more comments.

Id afaik only provide Raven with lots of support in working with the engine - I doubt they can call shots on whether or not Raven should make a demo or not, I doubt even Raven can, whatever publisher will decide on such things.

am I buying this? yes - one of the must have games of 2005 so you can't not buy it :) - certainly looks good considering the Quake2 style SP with Quake3 MP, from the videos I have seen so far whilst it looks like any other run of the mill FPS I dont see any particular reason not to like it.

Also high skilled players are usually good at any game, regardless of whether it resembles a previous or not - whilst there are those that get by on just extreme knowledge of maps / layouts / routines for a particular game, true high skilled players only need to bring themselves ;)

ok people i picked it up 2day and have been playing it for the last 2 hours.......

here is my opinion of it.........

first off it is a great game at least the single player is.......actually solid is a better word.......it hasnt done anything really revolutionary but its very fun

graphics= 10

doom 3 engine is awesome i think most of us would agree doom 3 looks great

gameplay = 8.5

so far the game is very fun...fast paced, weapons are good, i like the physics, i also like that other people are there fighting along side u....u dont control the marines but they are there 2 help u........

sound = 9
the sound is very well done....the music is ok not the greatest score ever but it is acceptable

multiplayer = ?

the reviews i read basically say the single player is very good and the multiplayer is same ol same ol.......i have not played it yet...if u like quake 3 multiplayer then u will love quake 4 multiplayer is what i have read......

over all...........so far the game is fun, runs nice ( 3.4 p4 , 6800 GT, 1gig ram, 1024x768 high detail) and has a story that is going well........ i would recommend 2 any FPS fan.......if multiplayer is ur biggest concern i would wait around untill u find out more. if u are looking for a great single player look no further ( except i guess u should buy fear as well , lol)

i hope this helps u guys out..........
any questions just ask

One word...

Crap.

Gameplay is marginal, it's fast, smooth, just like any other quake game. But it's quake 3 with more graphics. Sorry to say, I was hoping for somthing with a bit more substance. This isn't it.

Fear however, is bad ***. =)

Just picked it up on the way home from work, last copy of the dvd available..mainly want to check out the multi-play :)

I sometimes got into Q3 MP, although I wasn't all that great, I liked the fast-paced action.

Kurant said:
One word...

Crap.

Gameplay is marginal, it's fast, smooth, just like any other quake game. But it's quake 3 with more graphics. Sorry to say, I was hoping for somthing with a bit more substance. This isn't it.

Fear however, is bad ***. =)
well i think its a tad simplistic 2 just say the game is crap......its single player is strong very solid and fun........the multiplayer is awesome if u love quake 3 (according 2 what i read) but if u are looking for something inovative this isnt it..........like i said above if u are looking for a new solid FPS get quake 4....fear is good 2 but i didnt like the physics but thats just me.....

Superb game!!! 10/10

I was in two minds whether to buy this game, but the storeman highly recommended it. and thank god he did, this knocks socks off even my favourite games, which was Half life 2 and Counterstrike.

Graphics: 9/10
I don't think anyone can disagree here, though they're not "real-life" realistic, the graphics are awesome and must be "best" graphics around.

Sound: 9/10
Again, I can't think of any game where the sound is better. They have obviously employed hollywood actors which really helps in game emersion. Effects are all there and fit the atmosphere perfect, music aint bad neither.

Gameplay: 10/10
This game is really great value for money, two games for the price of one. Singleplayer is great, nice to have an arcade style game at last. Unlike HL2 there's no slowing down to figure out puzzles or how to travel from A-B, etc, instead its rather edge of the seat stuff, you have alot of fun!!! :) Though I've only played a few games of multiplayer quake4, I can tell you now that its a revolution waiting to happen!. The game me a big adrenaline rush and is like a drug since now I've stopped playing single player even though I don't really want to :p

Runs on very high quality smoothly.

only prob is no widescreen support .. highest res is 1600x1200 with a widescren aspect ratio 16:9 .. that is gay

u can do the doom 3 cfg file hack .. but i cant tell if im really running 1920x1200

I really want a demo, its so hard to decide if I should pick this up because Im not hearing alot of "buzz" about the game like I thought there would be..and I hear a even amount of good and bad reveiws.

I played it for 8 hours straight today non-stop and finished it. Yes, I will be playing it again, after I finish FEAR though, which just finished installing. :)

The gameplay is oh so good, and no, it doesn't feel like Doom 3 like everyone expected. It almost feels like playing Quake 2 again, which might be due to the audio and the surroundings, but the outside world looks great on the Doom 3 engine. This game has the BEST surround sound in it that I've ever heard of my Z-680s.

If you ever played the original Quake and Quake 2, you'll find some surroundings and situations similar to both, even though Quake 1 wasn't really part of this, Quake 4 does have a few moments that felt like Quake 1 to me. It's very disturbing when you get about half way into the game, as much gore as there is, but it's bearable.

It's not exactly scary, it's more of an adrenalin rush. I had one or two times that I "jumped" (if you can even call it that), but they definately wern't scary.

Vehicals are a plus in this to, but they arn't anything to compare against Call of Duty or UT2004's.

Celeron_Phreak said:
This game has the BEST surround sound in it that I've ever heard of my Z-680s.

The X-Fi OpenAL mode in Q4 is amazing with headphones (3D CMSS) and the Z-680s. Wonderful.

Celeron, is it real dark? I'm getting annoyed with all the dark games. Please say it's not that bad.........but don't lie.

I'd like to do a scale here from 1-10. Doom 3 being a 10 in darkness (horrible) & F.E.A.R. being maybe 7 or so (not to bad). Where would you rank Q4?

Last edited:
it looks like we are giving it better reviews then the websites (like game spot)

i dont know why every single game must be inovative 2 get a good review......a good solid game like this should get a high 8 low 9

a revolutionary game like half life or something should get a high 9- or a 10..........giving quake for a flat 8 is a mistake IMO........

im happy 2 see u guys are enjoying it..........

ohh for sure im not saying dont innovate but every single game that comes out cannot be a huge innovation....most reviews knock games unless they do something revolutionary..........in the case of quake 4 i think i should have recieved a slightly better score like an 8.8 maybe 9 flat.......

Quake 4 to me is just Quake 2 with better graphics. Sure Quake 2 was good in its day, but the days of running through levels with one shot function per gun, no melee and no nade option gets boring fast, no matter how good the graphics are. If your a fan of Doom 3 then you shall like Quake 4, its pretty much the same in my opinion.

I don't want to start a fear vs quake 4 thread, but spend your money on fear, its by far the better game. (please don't comment on this, it is just my opinion).

Scott

Screw all that.

I just got much futher into the game. The first 30min - 60mins so are doom like, but after that it gets so much better. This is how doom should have been. Its a good game Quake4. I wish i had 2 gigs of ram to run ultra high, if i run that i can hear the hdd clicking so much :(.

Last edited:
I think today's society has been pretty spoiled by melee and all the other options you get in the FPS games, but that's not a bad thing! I just find it nice to have a new game that brings back old game play in a sweet new package.

It's not nearly as dark as Doom 3 and it's a bit lighter than FEAR. I'd have it say it's more like a 5, mostly due to the outdoor environment and all the metal with decent lighting.

Back