• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quant112358's Build - 5903K MSI x99s xpower 32GB G.Skill DDR4 980GTX and Corsair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Time for some more updates!
Thanks for all your help on those questions, everything's sorted now and moving forward.
In the last couple days I did many hours of sanding down the oak boards, first I went with 80 grit sand paper block to get all the boards perfectly level, such that their meeting points are smooth and not raised so the entire surface feels smooth and flush. Then I had to mix Oak saw dust with an epoxy/resin to create some strong, simple, filler for where the screws hold the table top together. Below you see pics of the entire process, then I started with a coat of Tung Oil for the protective smooth stain/finish. I just finished the second coat tonight, so that means tomorrow I should be bringing the desk up from the basement workshop and into the office to replace the old ikea garbage pine desk which is too small for my height. I have plans to install something for clean and simple cable management under the back rear portion of the desk, still working out the design though for this. Also, thinking of adding on a shelf of two on the top, as well as wanting to mount my second screen (24" acer) - more on this later though... Also, finally got the new Blue Yeti Microphone installed and working, as well as started editing some video.

I mentioned at the start of this build I create content, hence my long *** posts, I like doing it, but anyways, I figure I can give you guys a small taste of what's to come; you see, I used to own a Skyline GTR, well two actually, and I took one from stock to over 400 Wheel horse power by rebuilding the entire car myself over a period of 3 years - self taught mechanic. The full story is here from start to finish, you'll see all the pics and some videos: http://www.skylife4ever.com/2011/01/second-gtr-build.html - Some of what you see there is going to be in the movie I'm making, I have over 120 gigs of footage to sort through that I have accumulated from years of car meets, racing, driving and buying/selling parts, this new pc, will help me create that video. The idea will be a fictionalized documentary style movie. It should be entertaining, enjoyable, enthralling and most of all entertain, but also shed some light on the little known underground world of Import cars and the illegal parts of it too.

Stay tuned;

9CGmIEI.jpg
RdcK6Dz.jpg
C5UFV7m.jpg
DLpOlMH.jpg
K9sycU7.jpg
f6UPNZs.jpg
APyMTo8.jpg
tMiE1cJ.jpg

Very nice.

I saw a while back that you had asked about recommendations for mice. Are you still looking for one? I'll give you some anyway:

Almost any Logitech gaming mouse is good. A lot of people prefer one over the other based on game types, grip, resolution and buttons, but Logitech stuff is usually a good bet.

Some people swear by Razer mice. The Naga is notorious for being a great MMO mouse, and the Death Adder is one of the most popular FPS mice there is. I personally don't like either, but not really because of the mice so much as they don't fit my play style.

I have a SteelSeries Sensei (non RAW), and I absolutely love it. It can be as fast and/or accurate as you could possibly want it to be with some tweaking, and it can be as bright and flashy or dull and unassuming as you want. It is expensive however, and I myself have never used some of the higher-end features I paid for (like the flashy LED screen on the bottom). The Sensei RAW is very similar, without LEDs and a few of the higher-end features that are exclusive to the non RAW version.

I've also owned the Saitek/MadCatz/Cyborg R.A.T. series of mice (yes, I've owned 3 of the 4 major variants), and I can't recommend any but the R.A.T.3. The biggest thing going for all of them is the way they look, and the 5 and 7 can be adjusted to fit your hand better. That's where the pros end though, unfortunately. I had the RAT3 for 2 years and had absolutely no problem with it. Then I got the RAT5, and had nothing but problems with it, such as it constantly dropping signal and only tracking on solid-colored surfaces. So, I upgraded to the RAT7. I loved that mouse, really and truly, but it only lasted a year before crapping out on me (the middle mouse button stopped working). That was the day I gave up on the RATs.

Thanks for the solid mouse reviews, I will likely get a logitech down the road a few weeks, I'm still using my old acer laser mouse ... hah.

Ok, as promised, finally pics of the new desk with the new pc installed in the office.
Looks pretty clean, I'm happy with it.
I'm still cleaning up a few things as I format and erase and re-install windows xp on my old machine before I list all the parts for sale. I also decided not to bother with a complicated "wire management system" as I just used some zip-ties and cable pin downs on the back underside of the desk, so all the wires are tucked up and under, you can't see them, and there's no wires on the floor, to which the wife immediately said "that's a good idea for vacuuming"... priorities... lol.
Anyway, here's the setup as is now.

ASyDrAT.jpg
7APBiAP.jpg
n2bZnmK.jpg
6zBkmmY.jpg
V81ez1r.jpg

YES let me comment on that router, the Apple Airport Extreme 2...
I must've tried 6 other routers and wifi setups for my home, each one was INFURIATING, so much bloatware and garbage and in the end they just never worked. I have a lot of network devices, I have 2 iPhones (me/wife), an iPad Air2, HP wifi printer, Apple TV, (we used to have a macbook pro also, but sold it), plus the need for dual lan on my PC (both old and new used dual LAN) - the power and simplicity of the AirPort cannot be understated.
AirPort required ZERO software to setup, ZERO messing about. I sold my left nut, I bought the AirPort, brought it home, plugged it in, and it worked right away. EVERYTHING WORKED!

hahaha, honestly though, hands down best wifi router in the world. cannot be said enough.

Sounds as easy as my Archer C7 V3, honestly.
Plug in, go to 192.168.0.1, type in preferred SSID and password, save and close.

That looks like a good router, unfortunately at the time I was in a hurry and doing the "retail" experience, bestbuy/futureshop were very not helpful, so out of frustration and without any research I just grabbed the AirPort knowing it must work with all my apple junk... lol sometimes desperation takes over. We've all been there im sure.

Somebody asked how much the desk cost? Well, it's about $70 for the 1" galvanized steel pipes. Then I spent another $30 on sandpaper/screws and Tung Oil. The choice of desk top wood is what makes things pricey or cheap. If you want cheap, use pine boards, (the wood box frame under the desk I made of pine) if it were ALL pine, the total cost would be like $160 max... but the oak boards I got were $50 a piece, x 4 so that's $200 in Oak alone, plus the $100 in pipe and materials, so all in I was out about $350 on the desk.

So I downloaded OBS (Online/Open Broadcaster) and i started experimenting with playing CS:GO @ 2K max settings and recording the gameplay at various quality settings. I did some experimenting to find out exactly how much my cpu can handle.
Right now my CPU is @ 3.5 GHz stock, and the memory is only running at 2133 MHz, cpu temp is 30 degrees C idle and hit a max of 42 under full load. I believe I could achieve 4.0 GHz cpu with 2400 MHz memory with a little bit of OC'ing. Anyone got any recommended guides or settings for the 5930K to 4.0?

Anyway, The results of my stock cpu experiment, while holding the CS:GO 2K max settings constant through out the test as a control variable, my purpose was to determine the optimal settings for OBS recording (and subsequently streaming). Here's my notes:
  • 2560x1440 @ 60 FPS - CPU full load, image is degraded and choppy
  • Brought it down to 1462x822 @ 60 FPS and it was perfect for 60 fps. cpu loaad while gaming and recording was 85%.
  • Will test 30 FPS settings tonight and report findings later.

I wonder if 2560x1440 @ 30 fps will still look ok?
I also wonder if OC'ing will allow me to record higher resolution at 60 fps.
What do you guys figure would be the absolute best for viewers, both youtube and twitch?

So I uploaded a snippet from my testing for you all to see, I overlayed task manager cpu usage chart and the MSI command center showing the use of the 6 cpu cores bottom right of screen. Make sure you watch the below video at 720p60 fps setting! tell me what you think...

Hey guys, just wanted to update you all that I have decided to roll with 1080pHD @ 60 frames per second for my redesigned YouTube channel. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3NV9awqPAysOQYnEBZgbUg

I have 127 Subscribers and 85,577 views on all my videos. I have uploaded videos of CS:GO and car stuff so far, but I will soon be adding more games and more interesting things too.
Let me know what you guys think of the channel re-design, or the general design layout. I currently earn about $70/month from Google Ad's running on my YT channel + all my other websites ad's etc... The goal is to double this revenue to $150/month. and from there, multiply it by 10!! Anyone here interested in making money online, I can share some of my knowledge if anyone's curious.

Here's 2 examples from the videos, Enjoy!:

If anyone was curious - I just sold/shipped my old Motherbord/CPU/VGPU/Ram to eBay for $40!
So long DFI/AMD S939

Back