• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Acrylics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I may not have full answers, but I'll provide some info.

Standard vinyl dye is not going to tint plastic like you are thinking. It will apply just like paint, but will probably stick to the plastic surface a little better. It will be opaque. They do make special dying processes to color plastic sheets, but I doubt it is something you can do at home--captain slug could tell you more. In either case, he and I work plastics a lot, and neither of us dye plastics.

You can paint translucent colors onto plastic. This is known as ghosting--I've seen a number of folks add "ghost" flames to their plastic cases. It has mostly to do selecting proper translucent paints. You can try a google search, or specifically I know the owner of clearpc.ca, Frank, has done this.

I suppose its possible to take auto-tint, which is available in many colors and opacities, and mosaic a picture together. This would require some serious precision with an x-acto.

You could mosaic together color plastics, but that would be very expensive, and require even more precision than cutting auto-tint.

You could probably find a graphics company that'll make a multi-color vinyl slap-on, I've never explored this route before.

navig

Back