• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about my CPU cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

okay, so since my PC runs hot (i have it running with a Phenom X4 9850 BE) i popped the side panel off to help heat escape. problem is i have it near a TV, and thus a lot of dust is near it. since all else has failed for cooling and it still runs hot, i decided to blow out my fans and see if it helped. problem: i have no compressed air to do this with, and at almost 1AM no local stores are open, and i have no car. SO, with that in mind, i have two options: a hair dryer or a vacuum. is either of these safe to use? pardon the stupidity, i've just never done this. my old cooler had literally LAYERS of dust on it because, well, i never thought to clean it. so i'm fairly ignorant to how this could be done. if worse comes to worse i'll turn the pc off and wait until i can catch a ride to walmart and buy a can of air. just wondering if my current materials are useable.

Neither is a good option. A hair dryer isn't going to do anything. A vacuum can easily damage components if you aren't careful.

Just wait until you can get a can of compressed air.

Canned air. I'm not sure where you live, but out in bone dry AZ plastic tubes and quickly moving air can generate static. If you want to clean anything with a vacuum, I suggest you remove it from the case first.

As for removing the side panel, this can sometimes hinder airflow through the case and cause "dead-spots" of hot air. If you have case cooling issues, best to address the cause (poor wire management, better fans, cleaning filters, adding fans in the right places, etc).

Edit: Thideras beat me to it.

that's what i was thinking, thanks for the clarification!

and as for the case being addressed, i have some slots in this case where extra GPUs and such would stick out once installed. i don't plan on gaming therefore the integrated GPU is enough, so could i cut a hole in this spot and mount another case fan?

Could you? Sure.

Would it help? It depends on the case and everything in it. At this point, we know what processor you are running and that the side is off your case, so that isn't much to go on.

i have some slots in this case where extra GPUs and such would stick out once installed.

:confused: I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean. What case are you using? And hearing that you aren't using any other GPU adds to my curiosity as to where all this heat in your case is coming from.

also cables are a bit of a mess inside my case. the PSU cables specifically are all over. could this be an issue? and if so could i just use simple twist ties to bundle them together? another thing, my case came form a brand name HP PC. it has one case fan opening and it's roughly 80mm or so.

EDIT: it has what i think are called low profile slots for the PCI-E and PCI slots. when you put the expansion card in, the ports would stick out of these slots so you can plug your cables in for your monitor or whatever you're plugging in.

Without seeing the computer, I couldn't tell you for sure. Generally speaking, getting cables out of the way of airflow will improve case temperatures, yes.

Low profile PCIe slots are half height, which you don't likely have. If they stick out the back, I don't think there is a name for that. It is just a different design.

okay. i blew it out with some air and, wow is all i can say. 10 DEGREE DIFFERENCE in my CPU temps. obviously the board was clean so no difference there. also, with all that dust gone, my CPU cooler's fan is spinning much faster and therefore no need for it to try and overwork itself so it's a lot quieter as well. thanks for the help guys, i really appreciated it!

Back