• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Push-pull fans in the dvd bay, and motherboard fan connectors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ehcastro3

Good day!

I was planning to buy a RAM cooler for my 4x4gb 1866mhz @ 1.5v (but at 1600 mhz at 1.56v actual) RAMs. The problem is, I have a Noctua NH-D14 and from my assessment a RAM cooler (like the Corsair Airflow) wont fit.

So I was planning to add more fans on my Antec DF-85 by removing my DVD drive (dont really use it that much nowadays) and removing the 2 slot covers, add a Fan, fan mount and filter. Now it has a cheap 120mm fan blowing from the front.

What I plan next is this:

fanconfig.jpg

So my question is this:

1.) Would two fans cool my PC more than 1 fan in the DVD bay? Or should I stick to one fan?

I plan on getting 2 of these and set them up like in the pic...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608004

Another question, but about fan connectors in the motherboard:

2.) According to my motherboard's manual, "The fan connectors support cooling fans of 350 mA~2000 mA (24 W max.) or a total of 1 A ~7 A (84W max) at +12V. My question is, how would I know if my fans are within these specs? The fan I linked above doesn't have the necessary info.

And is there any way to know how many Fans I can connect per fan connecter? If I am not mistaken I can use some splitters (or whatever thats called...that can 'fuse' 2 wires into one so that I can plug it into one connector).

Thanks in advance.

Well, yes you'll get better cooling with two fans vs one. And mounting them, since it's hidden can be done with velcro even, experiment. Decent fans, yes. Look up Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1850 RPM.

Very popular. And some real PC stores, not newegg.

Performance PC's
Jab-Tech
Sidewinders
Frozen CPU.

In the watercooling area there is a sticky up top for worldwide stores and not just for watercooling. The ones I list I do use and happy with them.

Your mobo? Thats TOTAL Mobo. And knowing exactly what each header can do is tricky.

I'd go with 1.5A for the CPU header. And .5A for the rest. Lots of times only the CPU header has speed control though.

How many fans? Depends on the fan of course. The splitter is a parellel connection if you didn't know.

It has it's purposes. But for real overclockers and modders, Newegg is like Walmart.

Many have to expand for speciality items. PC cooling, at least info, is not what you find at Newegg.

Don't get me wrong, I have spent a few 1K at Newegg over the years.

Newegg sell GT 1850's? Top PC cooling fan for way over a year? LOL, nope.

Back