• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about water used in cleaning new parts or flushing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In my case the VRMS are also cooled by the monoblock of the motherboard so i guess rams is one part that would take a hit PSU shouldnt be affected the way i installed it, in the end i may go with my initial air flow pic as i posted and give a try for an all intake rad on my first drain maintenance in 6-8 months(excluding dust clean ups), About the airflow am planning to min/max it through fan curves(a rather painstakingly process....) and additional temp sensors, can't do that though since i dont have the pc build xD and am using hard tubing so it would be time taking to disassemble the rads to reverse the fan flow still... i suppose i need to get my hands dirty in the end to get a definitive answer.

Last edited:
You could mount the radiator in question on the front panel. Then you get cool air in the botto/front and heat out the top/rear. Could be an all around win, there.

I'd have to check it out if a 480 rad fits in the front cause i think a 360 is the limit and even that needs a mod for the case.

I don't think it is going to make a huge difference to be honest. I would simply put your radiators wherever they fit (could do front/top for a mix of intake and exhaust), then orient the fans for best overall airflow. Aside from intake radiators, there is not going to be a lot of heat dissipated into the air that flows through the case as long as you have decent airflow.

Here is a good explanation about rad placements and how it does somewhat matter but in the end it's not a big deal.

Cool vid. I didn't expect that much of a difference honestly. In this case I don't think it matters though because I think the OP is putting his card on the loop.

most rads perform best with the fans pushing thru them but placement wont make much of a difference. especially in the 900d. with all of the fan mounts populated and their orientation in the most efficient/common placements of top/back exhaust and front/side/bottom inlets you wont see much if any difference in temps.

Thanks for all the input everyone most informative, am sticking with the initial reasoning of simply following proper airflow top rad exhaust with pedestal left fan intake with unobstructed front intake air flow for the supply of cold ambient air as in the air flow diagram i made.

Here is a good explanation about rad placements and how it does somewhat matter but in the end it's not a big deal.

That video was informative even though it didn't quite fit my specific build thanks regardless still clears up quite a few things.

Cool vid. I didn't expect that much of a difference honestly. In this case I don't think it matters though because I think the OP is putting his card on the loop.

Yes you are correct.

Loop wise using a single loop for a GPU and M/B Monoblock covering CPU/VRMs under 2x480 rads until i get my second gpu and then making a dual loop and adding an additional dual rad on the bot(gonna be some time until i move to that next year maybe)on the gpu side.

I cant see how to put together a loop part list from part picker so just putting my part list here while it includes 2-3 items thats still unpurchased(2nd gpu 2nd pair of ram and the screen of which am waiting for X35 to come out...before i die...of old age...)

Loop major part list.
Blocks EK-Vector Strix RTX 2080 Ti, and motherboard/cpu/ monoblock EK-FB ASUS X399 GAMING RGB Monoblock - Nickel utilizing 2xEK-CoolStream PE 480 rads with the EK-XTOP Revo D5 RGB PWM, EK-RES X3 250 RGB pump/reservoir, hard tube, hope that helps if my build is not clear enough to anybody interested.

wowza that thing is going to pack a punch!

Unless I missed something I don't think you need to spend $300 for an 850 EVO though. I'm sure you're probably not actually buying them where they're listed, but I wanted to make sure.

Ohh god no, that much is worth for the 970 pro, i've already had the 850 evo including the 4xbaracudas and the 2x externals from my old build, the list is pretty much a complete list of all the parts i currently DO have(excluding the 2nd ram set, screen, and 2nd gpu which are the parts i dont have yet, months away). :p

New Loop Questions

Going wit the 3rd question on this loop so may as well make it a general thread for any other obsticle/questions i come across as long as it has to do with the loop directly.

So finished my loop a couple of days ago leak tested it for a couple of 8 hour periods without any issues and now am all set up and ready, installed mostly everything and am in the process of "terraforming" my OS environment to my needs.

Which brings me to my next step after i finish up the above process.

As a new loop should "break it in" over a period of time before i start to overclock it? i.e go through normal usage for some time for the loop to "adjust" before i start pushing it's limits with OC's?

What's your experiences?
Or recomendations

System and Loop Info

Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D

M/B: Zenith Extreme
GPU:Strix 2080ti OC 11gb
CPU:2970wx Ryzen TR

Loop:
Rads:2x CS480PE
Pump: EK-XTOP Revo D5
Res:EK-X3 250
Coolant:EK-CryoFuel Solid(will likely change it in the long run)
Rigid Tube G1/4

Fans/Controllers:
20x Corsair 120HD
1x Corsair 140HD
1x Corsair 120(was with the case using it next to the pump)
2x Corsair Commander Pro
4x Corsair HD hubs
A bunch of splitters

Storage:
Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB
Samsung 870 Evo 500gb
Raid Sonic Icy Box RAID 5
4x 4TB Barracudas ST4000DM004

Peripherals:

Mouse: Roccat Tyon
Mousepad:Corsair MM800 Polaris
Keyboard: Corsair K95 platinum
Headset: Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2
Headset stand: ST100 RG

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, will start fiddling as soon as i get back from work....i feel so blissfully sinister right now muahaha"cough" sorry....

Will be returning(TBA) with results or in needs of assistance on OCing(in a different forum section if applicable also if for the sake of management a mod would like to merge my threads feel free)

Do you need to do this with thermal paste? I’m asking because the pump on a build I put together failed before failure the cpu was at 50c idle a 1500x oced to 4GHz now its 23c same loop just different pump. Thermal grizzly is the paste.

I’ve never had that happen to me and I’m been usin thermal grizzly since 2015 in every build I’ve done.

Do you need to do this with thermal paste? I’m asking because the pump on a build I put together failed before failure the cpu was at 50c idle a 1500x oced to 4GHz now its 23c same loop just different pump. Thermal grizzly is the paste.

I’ve never had that happen to me and I’m been usin thermal grizzly since 2015 in every build I’ve done.

Paste is irrelevant. You had a crappy pump. You replaced it with a good pump and your temps went down. End of worries. :)

Back