• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about windows serial number install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tech0925

Registered
Ok, you know how windows issues a single license for one computer right? The question I have is, what part of the computer does it actually match this serial # too? The reason I ask is if something went bad on my computer and I needed to reinstall windows or something after replacing the hardware will it still work for that computer?

Basically, does the serial # recognize the MOBO or Hard Drive? Which one of these has to go bad and be replaced before you have to :bang head and buy another OS disc? And in this situation would any backup disc work?

well if you bought a full windows install disk and your not talking about one that came with a prebuilt pc(like hp,dell ect)then you can use it on any 1 pc at a time just when you activate it on a new pc the old pc will loose its activation.now if its a prebuilt system they use a points system you can swap 2 points out per 6 months any more and it de activates.i believe the points were as follows.
psu 0 points
ram 1 points
cpu 2 points
motherboard 2 points
something along those lines,at least that's how it was on xp
i had full versions of vista and win7 so i haven't had to deal with it in some time.
if you dont have a full os disk i would suggest you get one or wait for win8.as you can use them no matter what you change in your system.the copys of windows that come with pre built systems are really only meant to be used with the hardware you purchased it with.

well if you bought a full windows install disk and your not talking about one that came with a prebuilt pc(like hp,dell ect)then you can use it on any 1 pc at a time just when you activate it on a new pc the old pc will loose its activation.now if its a prebuilt system they use a points system you can swap 2 points out per 6 months any more and it de activates.i believe the points were as follows.
psu 0 points
ram 1 points
cpu 2 points
motherboard 2 points
something along those lines,at least that's how it was on xp
i had full versions of vista and win7 so i haven't had to deal with it in some time.
if you dont have a full os disk i would suggest you get one or wait for win8.as you can use them no matter what you change in your system.the copys of windows that come with pre built systems are really only meant to be used with the hardware you purchased it with.

Ok, thanks! I am talking about a system I built myself from newegg. So basically as long as I don't change the MOBO it should work fine if I have to replace something correct? Any idea where to find the point system for windows 7?

Ok, thanks! I am talking about a system I built myself from newegg. So basically as long as I don't change the MOBO it should work fine if I have to replace something correct? Any idea where to find the point system for windows 7?

Can't tell you that but I can tell you, I changed out mobo cpu and ram at the same time. I kept my two raid arrays, old graphics card and cd drives at first. It would pass validation but would not activate, for a while. After mulling over buying another copy for about three weeks I tried to activate it online again and it worked. It might only hold the previous info for a few weeks but I can't say for sure. I still have all the other dive partitions that existed before the change like storage, files and downloads that have always been independent of the OS and programs partitions since win 2000, so any of that could have influenced the outcome but I don't know for sure. After a time I upgraded my graphics card and then later a few ssd's for my OS and program partitions, none of which made a difference to MS.

i couldn't find the points system for win7 so they may not use that same system anymore,but it wont matter to you if you bought your parts and os and built your own you can use your copy of windows on anything you like but just one pc at a time can be active.ive used this copy of win7 i have on three new systems in my home but only one can be active at a time the first time i changed my system i had to use the "call to active" deal after calling them they deactivated my old pc and my new one became active the second time i switched systems with that copy it activated online with no problems.

Even oem copies of windows, in my experience, are good for unlimitted installs on any hardware, but you have to call microsoft if you do a big hardware change. Ive used the same copy of vista 64bit (and the serial came with a 32 bit disc) on at least half a dozen computers. Alwzys one at a time, and always had to call the microsoft automated number but never had to actually talk to a rep. My win 7 is on its third mobo, third graphics, fourth hdd, and no problems, just the automated number.

When you have to call it resets to your current hardware and will continue to work with that hardware until you do another change.

Back