• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question, interested in OCing, What should i shoot for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aayden

Hi guys,
Total noob here with Overclocking, Ill list my system and please let me know what i should aim for.
5960x i7
Evga X99 classified
2x evga 980 GTX classified in SLI
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) C14 Memory Kit Model CMD32GX4M4A2400C14
CORSAIR AXi series AX1200i 1200W Digital ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm

I would like to aim for 3.6-4.0 ghz if possible with the cooler i have and not be to hot...
Im a total noob anything u can suggest from software/links/or just common knowledge would be great!!!

Check out the haswell overclocking guide...(Link In My signature)

But with that cpu and cooler, 4.2-4.5ghz is likely achievable. Keep voltages under 1.4 and temperatures under 90c while stress testing and you are good to go

Check out the haswell overclocking guide...(Link In My signature)

But with that cpu and cooler, 4.2-4.5ghz is likely achievable. Keep voltages under 1.4 and temperatures under 90c while stress testing and you are good to go

+1 Agree with Earthdog.

If you are running the stock fans for the H100i, they will get loud as you start to overclock.

If you are running the fans connected to the Corsair CPU block, and controlling them with Corsair Link...they will spin up to 80% to 100% when the coolant temperature gets warm. At 80% to 100%, I find the noise very loud.

Your other options is to connect the fans to your Motherboard CPU header and control them with your BIOS. The best approach here is to use a fixed fan speed (as loud as you can stand it).

Keep an eye on the coolant temperatures as you overclock!

Good Luck!

Post your results back here!

Hey guys,
Thanks so much, and ive just overclocked it to 4ghz, prob not gona go much higher than that, everything is running around 35-45c and peaks around 50c. So im very happy hehe!!!

Btw im using like 10 SP120 corsair fans in my corsair 900d case, so its very cool temp wise, and i replaced the h100i with 2 of these also so there much quieter.

Hey guys,
Thanks so much, and ive just overclocked it to 4ghz, prob not gona go much higher than that, everything is running around 35-45c and peaks around 50c. So im very happy hehe!!!

Btw im using like 10 SP120 corsair fans in my corsair 900d case, so its very cool temp wise, and i replaced the h100i with 2 of these also so there much quieter.

Sweet...sounds like a good job!

What did you do to stress test the CPU?

If you're peaking at 50 C with Aida64, you have more room for overclock! :D

ya but im comfortable with 4ghz lol... i could prob easily go to 4.5 but the prob is the radiator gets really loud lol...

ya but im comfortable with 4ghz lol... i could prob easily go to 4.5 but the prob is the radiator gets really loud lol...

Yeah - that's why I changed mine for some Noctua and plugged the fan headers into the motherboard. Much quieter.

Back