• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Question on bios flashing instructions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Hey guys, I'm finally getting around to flashing my bios to its proper version to hopefully remedy a Blue screen I have just started getting.

The Blue screen code is 116, pointing to the video card, But it can also be caused due to a bios issue/chipset issue. I have the latest Beta drivers as of today, it has happened once before with the latest WHQL drivers, so I don't think It is driver related.

That being said, what I would like to know is for http://us.msi.com/service/biosupdate/

The MS - XXXX code its looking for, is that the Z68a-GD65 (b3)?

What Method would be the one I use?

I have a Sandy bridge CPU, running an Ivy bridge Bios, and I'm going to be downgrading the bios to the latest sandy bridge.

So far, I think that the last method is the one I will use, Flash AMI UEFI BIOS by MFLASH If I am able to do it that method.

Last edited:
I did flash on my MSI mobo a few weeks ago. So I'll lend you a hand, I was confused at first, too.
If you suspect it's your bios you could try resetting the CMOS first, however if the problem persists or you feel you need a new bios.
I also run the latest SB Bios but I upgraded.. You could update to the latest version or do the downgrade. Okay, let's get started.

1) download the bios
2) the file name should have the XXXX number from your main board in its name
3) put the file on a USB stick
4) boot into bios
5) there you will find the option to.upgrade BIOS from USB stick (I think you can backup there too)
6) flash

edit:

so the .zip you download would be called like 7681vM8.zip Make sure that number matches the one on your MoBo.

MS - 7681 Ver 4.0. So that number literally just means its compatible with the Z68a-GD65 motherboard, which I already knew. Ah well, Now that I have it i can flash it no problem, That's all I really needed to know, thanks, Wish me luck in the flashing process! The bright side, even if one fails, I have a backup bios :p

Now the final question, ME 8 is not needed for sandy bridge. How do i downgrade that back to 7?

I've done some research that has exclaimed something I was suspecting, that I can't downgrade to Me7, If worst comes to worst, Haswell board will be coming around soon.

Last edited:
What is ME 8? Why would you downgrade that? Actually, why are you downgrading your bios? The newest bios have all the old fixes in it. A bios isnt specific for a processor it just means it supports newer ones.

Because MSI's programming is fail, The ME8 is a firmware update that makes Sandy bridge and its bios systems incompatible. I installed it before there was a Warning that it would make my board esstentially free of all overclocking features. I just called one of their techs, and they confirmed my suspicions. you can flash it up, but you can not revert it back once flashed for the firmware without replacing the bios chip, and whatever other chip they have.

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-GD65--B3-.html#/?div=BIOS anything version 25 and up say don't upgrade*which wasn't there when I had downloaded it* if you don't have IB.

"*Please download and execute the file in USB pen drive only.
System will restart several times to update ME firmware after updated system BIOS. Please DO NOT remove the USB pen drive until ME update sucessfully.
*Please make sure you have read the SOP before you update the BIOS.
SOP Download: BIOS & ME update SOP
*MSI recommend you to update BIOS with ME8 only if you are using IvyBridge 22nm CPU."

one source confirming some form of the issue I have.

http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2249523.html

While the board isn't exactly bricked, it also has a bunch of quirks, and I'm just ready to replace it, regardless of the speed gain.

Wooo! Checking on broadwell and haswell. Possibly even AMD stuff

Last edited:
So ME8 is a version of the bios. Ok.

What does broadwell have to do with this? So confused... I'm going to get some coffee. :)

No, it is not a version of the bios. ME8 is some sort of Hotfix that is installed along side the bios to allow Ivy bridges to be used on the old Z68 chipset mobos, the version is 25.8, or "P.1"

Sandy bridge bios stuff is 22.8 and below.

I'm surprised you didn't encounter this with at least one of your test builds.

As for what broadwell has to do with it, I'm looking into buying a broadwell cpu and mobo to replace this MSI piece of junk... I read that it got delayed to 2015 though, so that's a bit too far off to upgrade with the issues I'm experiencing now. the 2500k is still a sweet cpu, don't get me wrong, But I may as well upgrade as I have $500 saved up for pc replacement stuff.

Last edited:
Thats new. with both P67 and Z68, I never had to do anything outside of flashing a bios to support IB. That said, it would not overclock IB, but drop SB back in and it was fine. There wasnt a 'supplement' to install to a bios. At least not with an ASUS and EVGA board anyway.

Broadwell was never slated to be out soon as Haswell was just released a month or so ago. An upgrade to IB from SB is a waste of money really.

Before you jump in and Flash the Bios, maybe it would be a good idea to Reset everything back to Stock first!! As temperamental MSI Mobo's are why take a chance for 5 mins extra work?? It has caused problems in the past Flashing a Overclocked Bios. AJ. :shrug: ;)

Nothing is overclocked atm, and I'm not flashing the bios. Based on what the MSI tech said, If i were to attempt to flash it back, I would brick the board when the ME8 was installed. As such, I am considering switching to haswell, or even an amd cpu/mobo combo

+1 to keeping the 2500K and buying Z77...way cheaper move which should be able to hold off until Broadwell really.

True, my sb is still perfectly fine.

Supported CPU Technologies Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Is that supported in the middle one too?

Aj's link, the center mobo by gigabyte, Intel boost 2.0 technology, granted sandy bridge only uses 1.0...And I'll be able to use the SB on Z77 without issues, correct? I honestly have not really researched into Z77's as I wasn't planning on replacing the mobo till broadwell.

I like the center board because of the x6 USB 3.0 ports, I don't have much that uses 3.0, but you never know when it will come in handy

Back