• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[SOLVED] BIOS hang with 6900XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassnut

Premium Member
OK I got off my *** last night updated my chipset drivers and installed my new card Sapphire RX 6900 XT. Right off the bat on reboot it will hang on bios load, (A5 or D9 I think vertical GPU mount was in the way) but if you leave it sit long enough it will work itself through, most of the time. That's on Asrock BIOS 3.80, downloaded the latest BATA Bios 3.91 same issue, rolled back 1 version of my shipset driver same issue. Reset Bios to default proffered settings and there's no issues but as soon as I make any changes in BIOS, like just setting my ram to 3600 14 14 14 14 32 or just enabling S.A.M will put me right back to square 1. I stayed up too late last night considering I had to be up at 4 for work I know I will regret that but this has me scratching my head. A5 was the last code I seen but will disappear and the system will just sit there. This am I reset BIOS to default, boot right up, I am typing this on it. I downloaded and ran Supposition for the Overclocktagon 11100 ish can't remember exactly. Any thoughts???? I'm baffled. I'm off to work and will check back in as I can later, today will be a busy day.

Last edited:
I get errors (I don't remember exactly, but I think I was getting A6) on RX6800XT when the card is not sitting well in the slot or can't lock properly. It looks like pins have a bad connection. I pushed it harder, and the issue disappeared. At least no issues for 3 weeks. It looks like these cards are too big/heavy, and that can cause issues on some motherboards.

Thanks will check later. I've had the card in my vertical mount as well as horizontal.

Hmm, if it was only in the vertical mount, I'd say its the ribbon/connector as those go bad often (I've been through 3 over 5 years now). But since it is happening in the native slot too... not sure on that.

Everything boots fine at bios default but even setting DOCP on my memory or SAM will bring my problem back. BIOS 2.8 and the new BEATA 2.91 same.

I had the same error when RAM had a bad connection too. Weird that these two things were giving me the same error but you can check RAM and clean it with some high % alcohol. At least won't be worse.

When you tried horizontal did you completely remove the ribbon cable?

Of course .... gonna try a different slot tonight , gonna try my old card tonight as well. Different power cables different plug-ins for my power cable. If none of that works .... I have extra hard drives can try a new install .... :shrug:

A quick update .... part of the problem Somewhere along the way my boot order got mixed up and the wrong drive was set to boot. Once reset so my M2 was boot drive booting was back to normal as well as being able to make changes in my BIOS. The second problem with setting SAM I just found answers to and has to do with how the volume was set up on install. In order for SAM to be enabled Windows needs to be installed on UEFI/GPT not BIOS/MBR. So for me to enable SAM I need to convert my drive to GPT.

So for now my issues have been partly fixed, blame part of this on being too tiered and not thinking straight. I'm off to bed I need to get up in 6 hours I got lucky today and had a light day I already know the rest of the week is not going to follow as such we have at least a day and a half work sitting in the sorting area without a single truck coming in yet tonight come tomorrow there will be no place to move.

Thanks for the help.

Back