• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on Intel CSA gigabit lan.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

secretweapon

I currently have an ASUS P4c800 Deluxe with 3com marvel gigabit lan. I am wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to a board with Intel CSA gigabit lan. From what I understand, non CSA lan eats up bandwidth and possibly some CPU cycles but I'm not sure it would be a notable performance for me in terms of ping in games and CPU usage. I have a 1.5mb down/512k up ADSL connection.

It's not worth it. It would be worth it if you did lots of internal network file transferring at Gigabit LAN speeds. For internet use, you aren't even stressing the card.

Gigabit = 1000mb
your internet = 1.5mb

It is definitely not worth it if you are trying to improve your connection to the internet. Your DSL will not even stress a 10BT connect let alone a 100BT (and no were near a 1000BT). The other thing is that unless you have gigabit equipment (routers, hubs, switches, etc) you will only be getting 100BT or 10BT.

For example:

If you currently have the following setup:
Computer-----DSL Modem--------Telephone Jack

You are mostly likely use 10BT (10mb/sec [that is megaBIT not megaBYTE) because DSL modems usually only support 10BT network connections

If you have this:
Computer----\_____Router---------DSL Modem-------Telephone Jack
Computer----/

You are possibly using 100BT connection. This will not mean that your connection to the DSL modem (and therefore the internet) is faster. Not it's still poking along at 10BT. You are just able to transfer data between the two computers with 100mb speed.

So basically if you don't have any gigabit equipment now and you don't need to routinely transfer large (500MB or bigger) between multiple computers, you wont need gigabit.

Back