• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on old Intel CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seebs

Fronting as a Mod Member
EDIT

Here's the deal...
I have some old HW just collecting dust in a closet right now and since I'm planning on joining the benching team I figured I could put them to some use...

I'm not home right now so I can't be 100% sure of the model numbers, but I know I have:

- Intel P4: I would have to look at the markings on the CPU to make sure which one this is... All I can remember now is that it came off of a Dimension 8300 that I thrashed a few months ago. It was single core with hypetrheading; and I think it was rated at 3.2GHz... I'll take a look at the model and ratings when I get home from work tonight.

This one is:
Intel P4
630 SL7Z9 COSTA RICA
3.00 GHz/2M/800/04A
3503A892

- Celeron: Same deal as above; only this on is still sitting insde a GX60 that I've had for a long time as well. Will also take a look at the model/markings on this one later on.

This one is:
CELERON
2.40GHz/128/400
SL6VU MALAY
Q437A315

My questions:
- Socket? Same for both? 478? or 775?
- Worth OCing/Benching?
- I have the MoBo that holds the celeron, the other one was thrased.... Are both the same socket? Can I use that one MoBo with both?
- That MoBo is one of those that Dell ships with their PCs so the BIOS is rather limited... I guess I'd be better off buying a MoBo that allows the "good" options... Any recommendations?

That's it for now... Thanks
Sebastian

Last edited:
The P4 630 is socket LGA775. It should be a real good overclocker if you can find a decent mobo for it. Plus a good LGA mobo will let you bench newer Core 2 Duo's & Quads. Our Classifieds are a great place to look for older hardware. Yo.u'll want a nice set of DDR2 RAM - a 2x1GB set of PC8500 would be best.

The sSpec (SL7Z9) for the 630 at Intel
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27478

The Celeron is socket 478 & your Dell mobo is worthless for benching. Finding good overclocking s478 boards these days is kinda hard. You also need a good set of DDR RAM (DDR400 2-2-2-5) for benching too. The Northwood Celerons (this one) didn't clock as well as the s478 Prescott core Celerons either - not too sure there are many boints to be made.

The sSpec (SL6VU) for the Celery at Intel
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?spec=sl6vu

So basically...
The P4 = Worth exploring for benching.

The Cely = Not so much.

I've been looking in the classifieds here, but will have to wait until I get some extra funds to get a 775 board and some decent ram for it.
Time to go scrounging at work in the old HW closet to see what I can scavenge from there...

Yup, go with the P4. Unless you can find a really good deal on s478 hardware (like someone gives it to you), it's not worth pursuing.

Are you going to bench the 555 BE? It would be good hardware to run the 10 qualifying benches to get you started. Good luck!

Yep... The 555BE will be benched and it will be the chip with which I'll be doing my 10 initial benches... Already got one done last night... 4016MHz CPUz Validation

Quick question...

The tech specs for the P4 over at intel show that it's a PLGA775 socket... Is this any different from the LGA775? Or any LGA775 board will do?

I don't think the P isn't important, but I think some of the later LGA775 boards didn't support P4s. If you find one just check its CPU support list to make sure. You probably want to look at P35, X38, P45, or X48 intel chipsets. I believe the P45 is generally the best overclocker.

Ud3r would be my choice. I had the ds3r I believe it is. The one right below the ud3r for a week and it sucked for my e5200 at that time. Though they both overclock about the same now with the latest bios updates.

I've been looking in the market place and there is an ASUS Maximus II Formula available... Too bad i'm broke right now or I'd snatch that one. I'm pretty sure finding any of these brand new from etailers is going to be hard... Newegg has about 4 P45 boards available... 1 Biostar, 2 ASRock and 1 Gigabyte... None of them scream at me at the moment and I'd have to wait until I have the funds for this anyway. Maybe I get lucky and there is a good one up for grabs on the market place here when I have some disposable funds.

Used is going to be your best bet for a board. I'd check ebay if I were you, there are a nice chunk of boards on there that will be a solid choice.

I am sorry for going off topic.

This might be stupid, but I can't seem to navigate to the classifieds section of this site. Can you guys help me find it?

I am sorry for going off topic.

This might be stupid, but I can't seem to navigate to the classifieds section of this site. Can you guys help me find it?

You may not meet the requirements to be able to see them yet. I'm not sure, but I think you need a minimum of 100 posts and to be using an email that is not one of the "Free" email services out there... I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in the matter will let you know what you need in order to see them.

Sebastian

You may not meet the requirements to be able to see them yet. I'm not sure, but I think you need a minimum of 100 posts and to be using an email that is not one of the "Free" email services out there... I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in the matter will let you know what you need in order to see them.

Sebastian

I see, Thank you Sebastian. I think it might be the posts issue. I will try to be more active while waiting for more information on the requirements.

Mike

Back