• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Question reguarding mobo change.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_I_N

First let me say I'm in the camp that whenever I make a major change like mobo, gpu or vendor switch I always re-install my opsys. Yes I know its silly yo re-install for gpu but experiences in the past (long past) I just feel better doing it.

Heres my scenario I'm currently rocking the Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 mobo and have a Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 to replace it. Nothing wrong with the UD4 outside minor little things I can fix with the UD7 like dual 16x lanes versus dual 8x lanes with the UD4 and well the UD7 being the flagship of Gigabytes Z68 line. Anywho its just something I have wanted and now I have it and well I'm doing it hahaha. But heres the question. Would you do a re-install based on the minor differences between the boards. After all there both Z68 chipsets and both Gigabyte boards so I cant see drivers being overly different (outside the NF200 Chip on the UD7) and a secondary lan port. Anyway what are y'alls thoughts on it???

I'm a fan of always re-installing and starting fresh.

Sure - the drivers will update and all that but you never know if something residual will cause an issue.

Better to be safe than sorry!

Sure - the drivers will update and all that but you never know if something residual will cause an issue.

yeah theres always that nagging thought in the back of your head hmmm wonder if something driver related is holding it back. My only issue is having to freakin re download all my games lmao. I still run them from my main drive since I have the space on it. Its a Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB ssd. I have a 1TB storage drive that rarely gets anything put on it.

This. I have had good luck moving from one to another without a reinstall, but the cleanest way to do it is certainly a fresh installation of the OS... :thup:

welp I did a switch and run for redoing the oc as new board I'd have to redo my oc which I got the same 4.5Ghz but with 1.34vcore vs 1.35 so happy about that plus the extra pci-e bandwidth (yeah I know marginal fps difference between x8 x8 and x16 x16 but I wanted x16 x16 for epeen :) ) And yes I see no real improvement in gaming either I'm still rocking 60-80fps in C3. This was after the reinstall and I put it back on Win8 My main goal with this was to basically have the top end stuff for this gen of processor. I think I can say now it cant be much better with a 2600k than it is now.

Current specs
2600K 4.5Ghz @1.34vcore
Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3
4x4Gb Crucial Ballistic Elite 1866Mhz
Xfired 7970 @ 1050core 1500Mhz memory (flashed to Ghz bios have not tried oc'n past this yet)
Kingston Hyper X 3K 240Gb main and 1Tb WD Black Storage
Corsair AX850
Switch 810
cpu and gpu's WC'd with alphacool blocks rads and dual D5 Alphacool dual bay rez White Primochill Advance LRT tubing with Monsoon compression on Alphacool fittings.
13 Bitfenix Spectre pro Blue LED fans and NZXT Cable extensions.
and keeping the water clean Dual Monsoon silver plugs.

Back