• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about Acryllic Panels for Diffusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iggzy

Hi All,

I'm admittedly new around here so I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I had an idea for a project, but then couldn't find the information to see if it would work anywhere. I've been eyeing the Corsair 680X case, but admittedly don't love the 3 fans up front look. I still want the RGB to be useful and visually interesting so I had the idea to replace the glass with a piece of white acrylic cut to the same dimensions to fit in its slot as I believe that it should (at least if buying the right type and thickness) diffuse the light from the fans behind it.

Thing is I've never toyed with acrylic for light diffusion. I see it for sale on that, but I haven't seen it used much in computer cases and haven't been able to find any specific examples of how it might look. The case comes with Corsair LL120s there, and I also have a set of QL120s that I could use, which do give a lot of light but I don't want to invest money in case and acrylic to find out it won't work. So I was hoping someone around here might have experience with it.

One last idea I had with it, if anyone can confirm the above, would be to cut or chemical etch a design into the back (the side facing the fans) of the acrylic panel and if that pattern would show up on the other side when illuminated. I figured that would be the step above sort of cool value to this mod if it worked...but again I'm kinda in the dark on this.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Im not sure what thickness that front panel of that case is, but I mess with acrylic type paneling a lot. Diffusing light with them is relatively easy, you just wet sand it to your desired opaqueness.

as far as a design etch.....It might be possible to vector a sticker or similar adhesive then place it on the acrylic prior to sanding. I haven't tried this, but it seems doable in theory.

I appreciate the response. I hadn't heard about sanding for the opacity, so I'll have to look into that. The thickness needed is 0.118"

I got a sample from one brand listed as 65% light transmission that sounds like it should be enough. Unfortunately I found this to be a little too opaque as it is not that easy to see the color from the LEDs when its in a well lit room during the day. They aren't dim LEDs and I want them slightly more visible during the day. I'm looking at another one form another brand listed as 69% light transmission as I think much more than that would be too clear. But that's kinda where I'm at.

As for the etching, that would be to have the pattern ingrained into the acrylic, so it would be a valley and a thinner section to show more light. Chemical etching is an option, or I have a friend with a Light Forge who may be able to help.

I might have some .118 around. If i do ill give it a try and see how it comes out.

Acid etching could be a bit harsh. If you want a solid job done, maybe a laser engraving shop around you could help out.

My buddy with a gloforge offered the use of it if I want. Just with social distancing I'm not sure on it.

Back