• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions. My first water cooling build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think i can squeeze some money for used case. I will buy this one: SilentiumPC Aquarius X90 Pure Black . what do you think? There will be enough space for another rad in the future.

Much better, but you need 120mm or 140mm fans to fill that case up and get some flow.

:welcome: to OCFs.

1. You've already ordered your parts and are just now getting to ask questions about them? Seems a little backwards. Do you have the option to cancel or return if the pros suggest changes to your set-up?

+1 This

Never buy parts and ask questions later. I would return it all and start over.

Send back the watercooling parts and put the money toward some decent fans, a good case, and a motherboard with a better power section.

+1 This

My first recommendation would have been to buy a whole new case and save up for a XSPC beginners kit for around $150.

Coolant: EK red
MOSFET block: EK Asus 3a + backplate
Res: EK pumpres combo 140
Fans: 2x Thremalright TY-141 (push)

These parts roughly right there can buy you a nice water cooling friendly case. Than you can spend the rest on a XSPC 750 kit.

OP, you can find a case respectfully around $100-$150 that is very watercooling friendly and can fit future upgrades like a GPU and more rad down the road.

Watercooling won't fix your problem without better airflow through the case.....

You NEED COOL AIR IN THE CASE.

If i can cool it. With water it will me more efective than with this radiator.

Are you here to debate us or ask us for help? Your statement here is contradicting with what were telling you. Hypothetically, yes water will be more effective but NOT in your case. Water would be more effective if you had enough heat surface and air flow.

Me thinks that case is older than 7 years ago as you say. 80mm fans, if I recall correctly was around 10+/- years ago. I actually own a Antec case with 80mm fans. Most annoying sound ever.

Slow down and don't buy anything yet if you want us to assist you through this.

I dont know my case. Like i said it 7 years old case. I used it with my workstation (2 old xeons). I have 1 ore 2 80mm fans intake and 1 80mm outtake on 1000rpm max because they are laud.

Take a few pictures for us and post it. Make sure to get any labels or model #s on it that can help us identify the case.

Also I might add, what is your budget and give us a list of all your PC components, including case. What country are you from so we can look around and see if there are any retailers/etailers by you to see the options you have.

Last edited:
Its used but it costs 76$ after converting from my currency so its nice deal i think

wouldn't it be much easier to hang the radiator on the outside of the case? That will deal with the majority of the heat issues

wouldn't it be much easier to hang the radiator on the outside of the case? That will deal with the majority of the heat issues

Still need case airflow to keep the socket and power delivery section happy.

Still need case airflow to keep the socket and power delivery section happy.

yes.. never said anything about switching fans off now did i :)
With one major source gone, it becomes easier.. now, just getting rid of the dump by GPU is the next issue :)

Of course a NEW case would be better, as would a new MB and all the other stuff... but gotta work with what's there... bring out the hacksaw :)

With CPU gone, just need a straight front-to-back cardboard windtunnel over RAM & VRMs

yes.. never said anything about switching fans off now did i :)
With one major source gone, it becomes easier.. now, just getting rid of the dump by GPU is the next issue :)

Of course a NEW case would be better, as would a new MB and all the other stuff... but gotta work with what's there... bring out the hacksaw :)

With CPU gone, just need a straight front-to-back cardboard windtunnel over RAM & VRMs

There just isn't enough airflow with the one 80mm 1000RPM exhaust he has...

I bought aquarius x90 so i think thic case will be just fine and have 3 120mm fans and 1 140mm gratis so it will make a decend airflow through this case. Now i tottaly dont have money so cant buy new mobo. Maybe in a future ;)

There just isn't enough airflow with the one 80mm 1000RPM exhaust he has...

I disagree.. exhaust isn't the problem; besides the 80mm, there's also the PSU grabbing some air.. you need to get more air IN first and this is where putting a 120mm in the ODD bays or sidepanel or hacksawed comes in

IF push comes to shove, do a reverse setup, flip the fans around, use the rear exhaust as intake delivering some air directly over VRMs, the PSU will act as exhaust then
The GPU will remain a problem

I disagree.. exhaust isn't the problem; besides the 80mm, there's also the PSU grabbing some air.. you need to get more air IN first and this is where putting a 120mm in the ODD bays or sidepanel or hacksawed comes in

IF push comes to shove, do a reverse setup, flip the fans around, use the rear exhaust as intake delivering some air directly over VRMs, the PSU will act as exhaust then
The GPU will remain a problem

Yes, airflow is the inherent issue, which is why he got the new case.....

Yep, good for now, just don't push to hard on that 8 Core. Save up a bit and get a nice Clockable board made for that Chip.

Are there MoBos in price range to maximum of 125-150$ capable and good for my cpu? Sabertooth is too expensive xD i know that i need 8+ power phase but should i look only for 990FX boards?

You can get an enthusiast level board for $150-180 if you watch for sales. I'd subscribe to the newegg sales page and check pcpartpicker frequently when you're close to buying.

When i will get home one saturday i will test my cpu gpu temos and in what voltage my power phase is throttling. Then the same settings in aquarius x90 and then with my WC ;) i dont want to OC my cpu super hard. I just wanted to be able to have cpu on 100% 24/7 becouse i like converting films in x264 and x265 now xd

I wouldn't overclock it at all then if you're going to load it that much. Not until you get the new board anyhow. Then push it till it screams! LOL

I dont know how to plan my airflow i this new case. I think there are 2 good options. PSU is in bottom sot its not a diference.
1. 280 radiator on top and 140 fan on the back as intake, 3 120mm fans front as outtake. I think this will give my cpu better temps because radiator will get fresh air all the time and can keep my power pahse a little bit cooler with this 140 fan intake on back. Unfortunatekly gpu will get hotter air and greater temps but it is gtx 670 with direct cu so temps are pretty amazing anyway.
2. 3 120mm front as intake through gpu, mobo components (power phase) and outake ont the top and back.

Maybe there is third option like back and front as intake but top as outtake.
What do you think about it? Thanks for so much help man ;)

Back