• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions on RAM, Router, Data, Virus etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

box bundy

Registered
I've read some conflicting things on the net so I thought I'd ask here.

First off I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a difference in RAM between different CPU? I was intending on taking RAM from my gigabyte p55 USB3 i7 870 1156 set up and using it in a ASUS expert i7 4770k 1150 build.
Can I do this or will I need to purchase different RAM modules? Is there a difference between RAM of different generation CPU?

I was intending on using the same Router and RAM for this new build. Can you suggest how I can make sure that everything is clean and wiped of data etc and any potential virus before I use it in another computer build.
I want to make sure that if I do have a hidden virus I won't infect the new build? It makes me sus that I no longer can set a password in my router or update/downgrade it's firmware. Has anyone had this happen? :confused:

Should be fine. You don't hold a virus on RAM.

Now a router can be hacked and redirect with DNS, but if you already aren't getting numerous viruses every time you go on the internet you can hazard a guess it is fine. Otherwise you can always do a reset on the router, but I don't see much reason to do that :shrug:.

Depending on your router there are ways to do a factory reset.

Linksys/Cisco routers have the 30-30-30 rule. Using a pen(etc) with the router on push in the reset button [generally on bottom or back] for 30 seconds. Still holding the button in, unplug the router and leave it unplugged [with button still pushed] for another 30 seconds. Then plug the router back in [with button still pushed] for another 30 seconds. Release the button. Router will reboot and be at factory defaults.

YMMV though depending on your brand/model, but with all of the linksys/cisco routers I've messed with that was how I reset them.

I've done the reset thing on the router. it resets everything but still won't let me change the password where it used to. That's what makes me suspicious. I did it by disconnecting the power and then holding the button in. I'll try it again the way you said here.

So does the RAM wipe itself when the computer is turned off?
and
Am I right in thinking that the RAM will be compatable with the new CPU and motherboard?

I read another thread here about some Bios virus that has made me a little paranoid.

thanks

You can always go to the router manufacturer website and look up how to reset it for your model.

Yes, RAM is wiped when the computer is turned off.

Because the RAM you have is DDR3, it will be compatible

That BIOS virus exists but is very rare.

Back