• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Best Buy lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRip

I was in line at Best Buy and a sales associate walked up to the woman working my register who I guess was a manager and asked her where the camera memory cards were. The woman asked the associate if she knew the kind and size of card the customer wanted. The associate said, "Um, I just kind of thought they were all the same and you could just grab any one."

I just don't understand how these people get jobs.

Those are the same kind of folks they hire in gun shops around here.

Would you like some 12g ammo with that M9 today sir?

I have made a habit to avoid BB, their prices are ludicrous and I personally don't like supporting companies like that.

Do you man how the people getjobs at best buy? Easy, their requirements for using a cash register involves knowing basic English and the ability to push extended warranties on everything. And be able to count money... Sometimes

They hire all sorts of people at bestbuy. Most of them are useless. I tend to avoid them sales people at electronic stores

They hire all sorts of people at bestbuy. Most of them are useless. I tend to avoid them sales people at electronic stores

I avoid them at all cost. No one around here knows anything. Everytime a sales person comes up to me and I tell them whats up, they look like a deer caught in the headlights.

Just as I thought, they don't know what the hell they're doing. But then, they normally get the least experienced (or least intelligent) workers to just run the registers, it is after all probably the easiest job in the store.

I've actually never been helped by the sales associates there, because I don't normally need help. Normally when they ask me if I need help with something I just say that I don't, because it's pretty rare that I do. Of course though, if I do need help, have a question, or can't find something I can't find an employee to save myself.

Bet I could probably do the jobs of three or more of their sales associates' at once, and still do it better. The store around here never hires new employees though, in five years I've never had an interview or phone call returned from the local one, always when I call they say they're either overstaffed or just aren't hiring. I don't understand why they are accepting applications when they are not hiring, it makes no sense.

Funny thing is, when you call one and ask for the manager there's usually this long pause on the other end like they're shocked that you want to speak to a manager.

I've overheard a conversation between a customer and an Apple rep at an Apple store where the Apple rep kept rattling off the advantages of an SSD. The customer asked, "How does the SSD store data?"

Needless to say, the Apple rep was at a loss for words. He had NO clue.

This is not limited to BB. I walked into Frys with my friend who wanted a laptop. I asked an associate if a particular model my friend had in mind sported a dual or a quad? He said quad with no hesitation whatsoever. Recognizing the UX (ultra-book) form factor, I was dubious regarding his claims. So I walked up to the model, which was just round the corner and checked. It was a dual core.

I don't fault the guy for not knowing, but I did not really care for the fact that he could have taken two seconds to look it up for us. My friend is a noob and I was a bit angry that he would have been ripped off if he came by himself. Next we went to the Apple Store and he got a Macbook Air instead.

Apple Store reps seem to be more knowledgeable and honest but do not know when to leave the customer alone. We went there to buy something we have researched and talked about. We knew what we were doing and just wanted to get in and out of there. Having somebody blabbering constantly in your ear is very annoying. Why can't people leave me in peace!!!!!????? Sometimes I feel like the only way to solve such a problem would be a swift punch in the mouth (upper-cuts work just as well).

My friend is a total noob and is a hardcore Apple fan, so he got a 13" air with the service plan for $1500 (tax included).

I got a sure fire way of having the sales reps leave me alone when I find that I can't avoid going into BB, or CompUSA... The moment I walk in I start mumbling to myself in Spanish and making hand gestures... I keep this up until I get to the proper section and find the part I'm looking for... After that; I make a rush to the register and try to get out as fast as possible. If a brave one still decides to approach me; I just start picking my nose in front of him while still mumbling in Spanish; they leave me alone really fast. ;)

However, one store that I've found reps to be EXTREMELY helpful is Microcenter.

Same. The reps at a nearby BB aren't as pushy as the stories, but I still prefer the MC since the reps in the PC hardware section seem to know what they are talking about and admit when they don't know about a part and call over someone who does.

Microcenter is definitely a better retail experience. Anyone ranting about how poor best buy is must have been living in a cave for the last decade. Hello captain obvious!

I try at all costs to avoid BB but when BF3 came out they were the only place around here that had the limited edition left so I had to suck it up and go. I used the online site with store pickup. About an hour later I get the email confirmation that says it is ready for pickup, I then drive 40 minutes to BB only to be told they had to go pull everything (BF3 and a joystick). I then watched no less than 4 BB employees wander around looking for the two items that I could clearly see on the shelves from where I was leaning on the customer service counter. I was getting a kick out of it so I let it go on for around 15 minutes then finally asked if I could go grab them and pointed to the shelf where they were sitting. The employee then walked over and grabbed the items and brought them to me. Add a little Benny Hill music and it would have been a good youtube video for sure. BB is just sad...

Microcenter is definitely a better retail experience. Anyone ranting about how poor best buy is must have been living in a cave for the last decade. Hello captain obvious!
None around here. It's online or BB here

Yea the closest microcenter to me is around 9 hours either direction.

Used to be 3 hours to the Microcenter in Boston for me. Now the Yonkers one is 2 hours away, which reduces the round trip to 4 hours, and if I'm lucky I can stop there before/after rock climbing in New Paltz and cut that total time in half. I just really like the store and selection. Pricing is not bad for retail, often great in-store deals can be found.

I guess I'm lucky I don't have a MC closer to me than I do. I would perpetually be in trouble with the wife then, buying more stuff. ;) Closest one to me is roughly 250 miles away in Houston, TX. I do know where it is located though. :D

Back