• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick changes in temperature a problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdRoc

Hi guys. So I put together my new rig (see signature for newly built desktop). I haven't OC'd it or anything yet.

My processor, when idling, can get as low as 16C and during general usage is in the 19C-21C range.

I decided to run Prime95 just because and noticed that immediately the temperature went to 40C, peaking around 43C. That particular temperature isn't anything to worry about, I know. Likewise when I stop the test, it takes less than a minute for the temperature to drop back down to the low 20s.

I've always been under the impression that wide swings in temperature in a short period of time aren't good for electronics. A change from 20 to 40 really quickly seems odd to me. Is that something I should worry about here?

Thanks.

(Just using stock cooling on CPU, btw)

no nothing to worry about and very normal for cpu's or gpu's when there idle there cool because there not relay being used and idle down soon as you put a load on them they juice up and start making heat instantly there designed to handle those temps so nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I'm really happy with this CPU. With 40C under a full load with stock cooling (which is the same temp the CPU from my 2005 machine idles at) I am really excited to overclock it and see what it can do.

Back