• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Fix - PCIe-v2 to PCIe-v3 compatible CPU for GPU upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fashboy

Hey guys,

So I'm hoping the more knowledgeable could let me know whether this is a worthy small quick fix on a 5 year old system.

I'm considering picking up off ebay a cheap Core i7-4930K (PCIe-v3) to replace my 3930K (PCIe-v2).

Motherboard is a ASUS Sabertooth X79 so it's compatible and supports PCIe-v3.

If I were to get my hands on a 1080Ti it should run then at 16x lanes with PCIe-v3 correct? I'm mainly just wanting a good graphics boost since currently my PC runs fine for everything I need. Curious to know if a card like this would be bottle necked with such a setup?

Extra info on my build:

32GB CORSAIR DDR3/1600 4x8GB DIMM CL10 DDR3 - 240 pin
BenQ XL2420T 24 120hz monitor

Thanks for any help!

I wish I had the answer to that. I haven't made the leap to the newer gen GPU's. I'm still gaming my i7-4790k with a pair of HD7970's. Hopefully someone else will be able to assist with that question.

I wish I had the answer to that. I haven't made the leap to the newer gen GPU's. I'm still gaming my i7-4790k with a pair of HD7970's. Hopefully someone else will be able to assist with that question.

Ah ok no worries. Thanks for replying anyway!

Back