• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question regarding my new R9 280 With games mainly WoW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

resx

Registered
So i just picked up a MSI R9 280, newegg was having a sale so i got it for a steal. every game i play with it runs like a champ BF4 on ultra League of Legends maxed out at a ton of fps (of course) and many other games run extremely well. now my question has to do with the game world of Warcraft im sure many of you know that the game is said to be CPU intensive ect as people say, but im trying to get a rough estimate of the FPS i have is normal i guess you could say. as of right now i play with all settings on high view distance, environmental detail, ground clutter, shadows, water, ect all except things like SSAO, Refraction and AA which i have off. and 2x anisotropic filtering. now the game in the open world runs very well i have vsync on and get a steady 60 fps but what im noticing is in some arenas like loading into a new zone like when im on a flight path i will get around 45fps then it will hover around 60 then sometimes 40 ish again or if i look at certain places wile in my garrison or out in the world like looking far away i will have around 45fps. now i know wow isint really programmed well for new PCs or whatever but is this type of fps normal for a game like wow when i can get 60fps on ultra in BF4. im not expecting 60 fps on ultra everywhere i go i was just curious. i came from a HD 5770 and i was lucky to even get 60 on low settings with the new xpac. i also ran a heaven benchmark last night on extreme and everything looks to be ok so im just wondering if wow really is that badly optimized even for a new PC. im probably just being paranoid thinking this new GPU should run wow at 100000 fps on ultra even tho that wont happen but im just trying to get a rough estimate.

my PC
2500k (stock clocks) I know i can overclock just havent gotten around to it
MSI R9 280 non x
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
8gig 1600 Ripjaws
750w psu
CM 212 with Scythe Gentle Typhoon Fan

heres my heaven benchmark also

Thanks guys

BF4 is multithreaded to use more then even 4 cores, wow I doubt even uses 2.

If you can I dunno on intels but try disabling the extra cores and making that CPU use only 2 and OC it.

MMOs are very CPU dependent. Get that overclock going and you'll see improvements.

I have the XFX 280 R9 (got it for christmas) replaced 2 5890's ... love it.. play wow have no problems what so ever.. dule monitors full rez 1680x1050 (that sound right?) anyways.. I get about 60fps only thing that slows my down is my old school att u-verse crap dsl 5mbs... a lot of trouble with my frame rate occurs on a high pop sever (stormrage) during peek hours with my lag issues. but thats about it.

Back