• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R.I.P Sabertooth R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Q6600 is actually faster running superPI @3.2Ghz than FX8350 is @ 5GHz without Stilt's fix. :D

I know, sad isn't it!

Due to the cut in transistor count on each x86 core, you see this performance loss. Basically a 2/3's Phenom II core with shared cache in a box. If you use MsConfig and run only a single core, it's horrible. The PiMod time gets even worse.

Meh who needs memory bandwidth any ways?

buddy of mine bought a prebuilt asus comp and it poped and smoked right out of the box on plug in. took it back to the store and the second one did the same thing. (he got a better asus comp for no extra $$$) contacted asus and i guess they had a bad batch of components and they were in the process of pulling them off the shelf. but other than that i have never herd of an asus board being put to rest. hell i still have my old rig i built on a asus board and im sure if i put it in a PSU it would work just fine. I got a MSI right now doing some saving for a nice asus board

I doubt a prebuilt Asus computer had a Sabertooth in it, though if they had a bad batch of components that they use across there whole line up then it could be the issue. It could also just be a bad board and that's that, electronics fail from time to time with every manufacturer, **it happens.

my mom and i both have the same mobo we bought them as open box deals from newegg mine has its stupid days but for the most part mine works good but my moms on the other hand died last week the same thing a small flash around the cpu and nothing after that! its odd did yours ever report the 3.3volts being 2.93 both mine and my moms does i wonder if that maybe the problem?! well good luck with the rma my mom will be doing the same shortly!

I wish you good luck on RMA, I have R1.0 of that board.

CPU: FX-8120 3.1GHZ OCed to 3.6GHZ
Cooler: V6GT
MB: Sabertooth 990FX
MEM: 16GB Viper 1.6GHZ
GPU: GTS 450
HDD: 320GB, 1TB, 2TB
PSU: CoolerMaster 750W

This is the MB running F@H, all cores at 100%.
8120-3.6GHZ.JPG

Good news on the RMA. New board is arriving tomorrow or Friday. Now just fingers crossed that my CPU isn't dead and possibly kill my new mobo :D
I also managed to solve the weird temp readings for the Q6600. It has heavily lapped IHS and the board has some low profile capacitors near the socket. Supermacy block is 1-2mm wider from the base than Supreme block and it caused the block to make contact with the capacitors, We are talking like fraction of mm judging from the spread of the TIM. So I just switched back using the Supreme.

More good news is that the new radiator, Fans and fan controllers are working properly aside from one F12 that I managed to break a blade off. I was rather worried about the noise problems that people have complained with Ultra Kaze 3K fans. They have so low starting voltage that I can run them 750rpm and they are virtually silent.

Stuff I added
6x Ultra Kaze 3K
3x Arctic F12 PWM
3x Artic F9
Scythe Kaze Master Pro
NZXT Sentry Mesh
AC NexXxoS ST30 360
And the lovely Cool Laboratory Liquid Pro TIM

I had some spare time mid week and decided to check how straight my EK block base and the 8350 IHS was.
I would like to say they were decent but holy shh, never seen block base or IHS have that big of gap.
There was enough room to get a sheet of paper between the two and then some.
While installed, judging from the spread of TIM and the imprint on it I thought both had pretty level surfaces.
So it would be a good idea to lap them down.
Took me freaking 5 hours to do that but hey, that's couple of degrees right?

1 Hour in
After that I did the block base with the 240Grid and it took forever and I'm pretty sure it still isn't completely flat. I did not take a pic of the block for some reason but here is a picture of my snoring male pit mix instead.

After the 240Grid I went trough 400, 1000 and 2000. I should have used something between 400 and 1K but couldn't find any leftovers from the last lapping project.

It came out quite nicely, I'm still debating if I should mirror finish them but since I'm going to use Liquid Pro in between I really can't see the point, other than risking a bad bond and possible overrun of conductive TIM :O

I laughed pretty good at the dog sleeping with his head against the cage. I would get some 500/1000/2000 paper and mirror it up. Liquid pro is good but you're talking maybe 2-3 C difference between that and GC Extreme or any of the other top TIM. Worth the risk?

I have used liquid pro before for about 3 years and never had any major problems. Just takes little bit of patience and a lot of moderation applying it. Takes 3-4 times less TIM on lapped surface.
Little bit gritty surface seems better for the application, I had little bit hard time getting it to bond with my Q6600 after I lapped and polished it few years ago.
The surface tension of mirror flat copper and Gallium was hard to break :D

I think I'm going to stick with the liquid pro but I'm still not sure if the CPU is alive. Tomorrow is the test run and if it checks out I will finish the surface little bit smoother getting rid of the test paste in the process.

I have used liquid pro before for about 3 years and never had any major problems. Just takes little bit of patience and a lot of moderation applying it. Takes 3-4 times less TIM on lapped surface.
Little bit gritty surface seems better for the application, I had little bit hard time getting it to bond with my Q6600 after I lapped and polished it few years ago.
The surface tension of mirror flat copper and Gallium was hard to break :D

I think I'm going to stick with the liquid pro but I'm still not sure if the CPU is alive. Tomorrow is the test run and if it checks out I will finish the surface little bit smoother getting rid of the test paste in the process.
I can see a mirror finish being a problem with the liquid pro. I'm sure you would have to really eff up the application to have it cause an issue anyhow.

Finally I got my replacement motherboard, Postal service lost it on the way but managed to find it and send it to right address.

And the good news is that is that my CPU is alive!
Running like champ. Now I only need to find time and will to do proper cable management :clap:
Grabbed couple pics while assembling this mess.

IMG_2215.JPG
IMG_2218.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG
IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2222.JPG
Untitled.jpg

22 fans in total. That is a lot :D That's why I invested in the fan controllers.

Maybe it was the high power Vortex that broke your board :rofl:

It was bad quality control that broke my board :D
22 might be much but I plan to drive them slow and ambient temp is rising too, Month ago it was 18-20c inside the house and now it's 26c
I have thermistors setup to measure ambient, air in, air out(top) and radiator outlet and the readings are not good. I was so ready to rumble(rookie rumble cup ^^)
Case is pulling 27c air in and pushing 34c out from the top.

Back