• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 Fury or 980Ti? Which 980 Ti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

I want to cry. I want to kick myself. Or blame my son. If only his PC didn't die.... If only I could resist.... If only.... I tried not to come here. Really. But... yes, there is always a but.... but in the interest of exploring every upgrade avenue, here I am.

I initially planned to buy an i5 6600K, Gigabyte Gaming 7, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB, and a Noctua NH-D15 cooler. I decided to add a Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 drive, a iiyama 24" touchscreen (to upgrade my 22" iiyama touchscreen), and a modular PSU for better cable management. The first group (CPU/motherboard/RAM/cooler) I definitely need to replace his dead components. The second group was more of "Wow! New toys!"

Now I have to decide whether:
1. The benefits of the "new toys" outweigh the benefits of a new GPU
2. A build with a new GPU is within budget and is reasonable for the cost

However, I now run into the classic AMD vs. nVidia dilemma. I've seen numerous recommendations for the 980Ti to know without even reading many reviews that it is currently the leading GPU. Currently an AMD user, I had to see what it had to offer to compete. From what I have researched, it seems that the 980Ti outperforms the R9 Fury by anywhere from 9fps to 30-40fps depending on the title. The 980Ti also consumes less power by as little as 1W to 3-4W IIRC. Depending on design, the R9 Fury can sometimes be quieter. Seems like a win for the 980Ti. If not for the £550 vs. £460 price tag. Is the £90 enough to justify the benefits of the 980Ti?

The funny thing is that I mostly game on 1920x1080 resolution. I'm not much of a FPS player and I mostly play strategy games and simulations. The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, I play them on 1920x1080. For my simulations, however, I play them on 5890x1080. DCS, Falcon 4 BMS, IL-2, Project Cars, Elite: Dangerous, I play them on this resolution. My setup is actually 4 screens -- 3x 27" 1920x1080 screens in Eyefinity (5890x1080 res) for display and a fourth 22" 1920x1080 touchscreen for "cockpit controls" or just an extra screen for TeamSpeak and such.

Now on to point #1. "New toys" vs GPU. The cost of the new toys comes to around £450. The M.2 is an attempt to see if I can get faster loading times compared to my Crucial M4 and my Samsung 840. The advertised speeds are awesome but some reviews showed that it didn't really fully utilize that compared to SSDs (will need to read up a bit more now that its purchase is under scrutiny). The 24" touchscreen was hopefully to get me a bigger physical touch area for my "switches" in the cockpit and sell the old 22". The modular PSU was, well, I wanted a modular PSU for a while now, primarily for cable management. However, my current PSU is still going strong and with a little squeezing, I managed to get all cables tidied and kept out of the way in my case. Also, I'm not 100% sure my son's PSU is still good so I thought might as well get a new one. For £10 more, I could get a Gigabyte R9 Fury 4GB WindForce3 OC. For £100 more, I could get an EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW OC 6GB.

For point #2, I guess the question would only really arise if I decided to get the 980Ti. Which I'm really considering. My current 7970 3GB DD GHz Ed. card would then go to my son to replace my old 5770 that he's using... which is another plus (yeah, I'm trying to convince myself).

I'd like to hear what you guys think regarding this unique situation. :) I would appreciate honest thoughts here, but please be gentle! :grouphug:

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the review about the M.2 drive that although it acknowledges the improved speed of the 950 Pro, the "real world" difference was only less than a second compared to normal SSDs.

I would get the 980ti (non-reference cooler), better driver support, more RAM, and should run at about the same noise level and slightly less power draw.

I wouldn't bother getting an M.2 SSD if you are looking for any appreciable real world changes. You will see better speeds in benchmarks, but in all honesty the benefit for an SSD is very fast access times which I don't believe changes or can improve much from a SATA3 SSD in the first place.

I would get the 980ti (non-reference cooler), better driver support, more RAM, and should run at about the same noise level and slightly less power draw.

I wouldn't bother getting an M.2 SSD if you are looking for any appreciable real world changes. You will see better speeds in benchmarks, but in all honesty the benefit for an SSD is very fast access times which I don't believe changes or can improve much from a SATA3 SSD in the first place.

All this +1

The 980Ti is faster and uses less power than even the Fury X.
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1513?vs=1496

980 Ti all the way. Power usage is negligible as a deciding factor, especially at this tier of cards. AMD driver support is nothing short of horrible, and this comes from a previous AMD fanboy :sly:

Hmm... so when is this gonna happen? When exactly is "before the holiday season"?

I just checked google shopping and didn't see any change in prices on GTX 970s. I do see GTX 970@ $280ish on Newegg.

I do see two 980 TIs for $599 on Newegg. (Zotac and Gigabyte) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125803&cm_re=980_ti-_-14-125-803-_-Product

The Gigabyte 980 TI G1 is $619.99 after the rebate card.

We could use the above as a reference for where Nvidia card prices end up in the next week or so. I would hazard a guess that prices will go down some more before Christmas.

You'll notice that Nvidia did this after Black Friday/Cyber Monday - can't blame a corporation for making a profit.

Didn't notice a change on prices on this side of the pond :( At least not for the 980 Ti

Is there a price tracker website anywhere? Like for PC games, isthereanydeal.com will tell you which site has sold a particular game, what's the current price, what's the lowest price it's ever been, etc...

Which 980Ti?

I'm about to decide which version to get. I will be selecting from this page and would appreciate suggestions. I think my limit is along the £550-£580 range but would consider pricier options if it is value-for-money.

I had initially planned to get the EVGA Classified Gaming ACX at £559 or the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming at £575 but then noticed reviews of the Zotac Amp! Extreme (£559) and thought... okay.... then I noticed ANOTHER review, this time of the Palit Super JetStream (£519) and that got me thinking... looking at techpowerup reviews, I thought I could compare the Zotac and the Palit cards but then I noticed that the reviews gave different fps numbers for the same card and the same game. At 3840x2160 res, the Palit review listed the default Ti at 32.6fps and the Palit at 38.7fps (link) while the Zotac review listed the Ti at 25.3fps and the Zotac at 31.8fps (link). Now is the Palit better at 38fps? Or is it a false boost since the Ti fared better at that review as well? Then I go to the Fan Noise section and it shows me the Palit is 31dbA under load with the Ti at 42dbA while the Zotac is 35dbA. In this section, the default Ti was 42dbA on both reviews.

I thought I could compare the Palit and the Zotac but it seems that comparing game performance is impossible. Is there any way to figure out which card or manufacturer's version is better than another?

Thanks!

EDIT: Or is there a review site that allows for better comparison between models?

Merged threads... no need for another... this is all about buying a videocard. :)

I would choose either the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G or the EVGA 980Ti with the ACX2 cooler. Zotac brand is fine as well. There is very little difference in performance between most models.

Apologies for that. I thought one was about AMD vs nVidia (not that there was much debate!) and the other was WHICH nVidia card to pick. Thanks for merging though!

Any reason for the MSI or EVGA recommendations?

EVGA and MSI have come out with watercooled hybrid cards (the GPU uses an AIO, and the VRAM/VRMs are cooled with a fan).

Better heat management...and supposed to be quieter.

I am liking the Classy

larger custom PCB for better heat dissipation and better power than cheap nVidia reference

The Lightning, variants of Zotac and Strix also offer these perks

I personally think they are worth the extra coin , even if air cooling

Back