• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAC with quad core phenoms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NUTNDUN

Hey guys,
I am getting ready to build possibly two more machines for the house for both personal use and crunching. I was looking through everyone else's stats to see if anyone else is running any quad core phenoms and I think there was only one and the rac was lower like it just started. I noticed alot of intel quads. I am not here to start the intel / amd war but will the phenoms get close to the same rac as some of the intel quads? I am asking because if I go with the amd quads I can build two machines, if I go with the intel quad I will only be able to build one.

no one knows really, AMD P and PhII's havent been that great and i dont expect them to get better until next year sometime.

WHich quads were you looking at that would be so expensive on the Intel side to only be able to build 1 rig?

Phenom II's are just as expensive as C2Q.

I was going to do a phenom 9600 and a biostar mobo for the wife and I was going to do a 9950 and a asus mobo for mine. I want to be able to oc mine, the wife's will be a normal everyday rig. I am trying to build two systems and get a 22" lcd and stay under $1,000. I don't really care too much about graphics as I don't play, I mainly just use mine to surf the web and play with linux. The hardest they will work is crunching for us on rosetta.

Don't forget to browse the classifieds here for good deals ;)
Especially if people know you're going to Fold/Crunch... they can sometimes make even better deals.

Will the new mobos boot from an ide drive and would I be able to have the cdrom and the hd on the one ide channel. I could reuse the hd and cdrom from my current pc in the wife's, she could care less and I just want the folding power for hers. That alone would save me enough to be able to put two of em together and fold away. Thanks for the tips on the mobo.

Yes & yes though HD performance will likely suffer.

NP. Great mobo values in the UD3 series.

I'm not worried about the perfomance of the hd for the wife, she is only on the pc maybe 1/2 hour a week. She wouldn't know the difference. LOL. If I didn't need to get a new monitor it would be really easy to make two nice systems.

I hate to keep asking questions but I am not familiar with the intel chip sets and motherboards. Is there a known good intel board with integrated video on the cheap side that may take to some oc'ing?

I'll probably be able to tell you how PII does in Seti in about a month or so. I should have my 940 up and running by the end of the week at the latest. I know QuietIce's old 9850 doesn't do badly in Seti (not quite as good as an Intel quad but better than a dual core Intel) and the PII is supposed to have higher IPC than the original Phenoms.

I have always been an AMD fanboy but I have been out of the loop for at least 6-7 years that I just don't know anymore. I know I want to build two nice crunching machines on a budget, one a little better then the other and I'm not going to be brand biased. Whatever gets me more for my money and helps the team and our rac.

Back