• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9800 Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It apears the major difference is between quality and performance setting of AA & AF.

And of course the clock speeds.

I think I'll wait till something that can handle that sweet codecreatures engine comes along.

Did you see those screen shots on the driverheaven review? I the one I remeber was at 16 FPS. That engine look fantastic.

what i love is the size of the card comapred to the FX and that it does not need a HUGE heatsink to keep it cool :D

atifx.jpg

And i do think this 9800 is a card to skip over - next to no gme can even drain out a 9700 pro ye - i think the 9800 is simply atime / gap filler as the 9700 will do what it needs to with most up coming games and apps.

And i do think this 9800 is a card to skip over - next to no gme can even drain out a 9700 pro ye - i think the 9800 is simply atime / gap filler as the 9700 will do what it needs to with most up coming games and apps.

I agree. I think its price tag will make it somewhat unattractive compared to a 9700 pro.

Black_Paladin said:

OK, in that case, we can say that the 9900Pro should be announced in April.

Maxvla, which benchmarks do you have a problem with on Tom's? :confused:

While it is true that Tom's benchmarks show the fx ultra with a slight advantage over the 9800 pro when AF and AA are not enabled, when I look at the part of the review where AA and AF are used, I'm unable to see a single instance where the fx is able to overtake a 9800 pro.

According to Hard forums reviews in most of their tests the 9700 PRO beats the FX.

Maxvla said:

Have you bothered to read any of the other 20 reviews on the net? And why on God's green Earth would you trust Tom's review? He's as biased as they come.

Black_Paladin said:

That's odd. Tomshardware says this about the 9800 pro:

Are you sure you were reading Tom's then?

Exactly. And have you read Anand's? His review shows and even more impressive lead. I don't trust Tom's numbers but even in the end of the review he had no choice but to admit the domination of the 9800 Pro.

Mr.Guvernment said:

According to Hard forums reviews in most of their tests the 9700 PRO beats the FX.

Yep, I believe the 9700 Pro and the FX are neck and neck depending on which tests you choose to use, but when it comes to AA and ASF, the 9700 Pro takes the lead in most benchmarks and the 9800 Pro has a comfortable lead over both cards.

The 9800 Pro is a bad boy.

OC Noob said:
It apears the major difference is between quality and performance setting of AA & AF.

And of course the clock speeds.

I think I'll wait till something that can handle that sweet codecreatures engine comes along.

Did you see those screen shots on the driverheaven review? I the one I remeber was at 16 FPS. That engine look fantastic.

And what do you mean by handle code creatures? I average 46fps on my machine with a 9700 Pro. Your not going to see any card pull 100's of fps on code creatures anytime soon.

Like I already wrote, the screen shot I saw was at 16 FPS and that certainly isn't "handling it."

Blkout said:

And what do you mean by handle code creatures? I average 46fps on my machine with a 9700 Pro. Your not going to see any card pull 100's of fps on code creatures anytime soon.

EDIT: The frames ranged from 9-17 for all of the screen shots at. What kind of settings are you using?

Blkout said:

Your not going to see any card pull 100's of fps on code creatures anytime soon.

Yeah, considering there won't be any leaps in vid card performance untill the r400 and NV35 I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

Last edited:
Mr.Guvernment said:

The 9800 replaces the 9700 - I doubt you'll be able to buy the 9700s or 9500s for long.

- JW

Well I gotta say I'm impressed by the reviews. I think ATI knows what they are doing. The crown was a bit disputed, not anymore. Also I think they did a smart move using the .13 process on the lower cards for first run. Better to iron out the kinks there than on your "Showcase Card". Also since the .13 process costs more, they might not make as much money per card in that segment, but you can bet they will sell a whole lot more of them. A much better way to recoup the costs of the transition. Also they've proved that .15 proccess wasn't maxed out yet, like lotta people claimed. The biggest deal to me is that their #2 card matches NV's #1 card and is $100 cheaper. I think that will cause a few of the mid-level buyers to move up a notch on the ladder. They are now able to get very close to the best performance for quite a discount. I gotta feeling that will sway quite a few of them. Looks like good moves across the board to me.
I'm excited to see the new releases coming from NV too. I hope they are better than I'm expecting. I think its better for us end-users if they play leap-frog with each other rather than having a clear leader and the other trying to play catch up.
my $.02

peace.
unloaded

JCLW said:

The 9800 replaces the 9700 - I doubt you'll be able to buy the 9700s or 9500s for long.

- JW

the 9700 and 9500 are out?...lol - o r u mean they will not be around much longer? - i think they will be as there is likely plenty alrady made and in stock

the 9800 are the one coming and i just got my email from ATI.

the 9800 will be, or is supposed to be, on shelves in April. and later in Q2 the 9900 - which is the 256mb version with DDR-II

Email

Choose the adventure that best suits your gameplay needs:
RADEON™ 9200 will deliver a dazzling visual experience for the compelling 3D games of today and tomorrow, while RADEON™ 9600 and RADEON™ 9800 ride a future-proof architecture built on unparalleled support for Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0, the API of choice for the most astonishing next-generation titles.

Introducing RADEON™ 9800,
RADEON™ 9600 and RADEON™ 9200
Visual Processing Technologies

Overview
High performance architecture is driven by finely tuned features and up to eight independent rendering pipelines to deliver barrier-free entertainment.
All products reach new levels for visual realism in graphics, video, high definition and streaming Internet content courtesy of SMARTSHADER™, SMOOTHVISION™, FULLSTREAM™, VIDEO SHADER™ and VIDEO IMMERSION™ technologies
HYDRAVISION™ multi-monitor management offers expandable and customizable display features to organize and control CRT monitors, screens and flat panel displays.
RADEON™ products feature CATALYST™, the industry's most stable 3D acceleration software

I mean I doubt they are still making the R300 cores. The more time that there are both R300 and R350 cores out there the more time ATI spends competing against itself. The 9500pros will probably be faster then the 9600s (since I believe the 9600s only have 4 pipelines), and most people would probably buy 9700s over 9800s (see Ed's blurb on the front page).

I'm sure they won't run out of R300s for a while because they were reportedly getting such good yeilds, but it's in ATIs best interest to get rid of them as quickly as possible. I doubt they want to end up with a situation like the R200/8500, where they have so many extra cores around that they end up creating a "new" card - the 9100.

- JW

i read toms because i am familiar with how their site works.

i don't have time to read 20 reviews when i will never own this card.

and by what i have said. i am just not impressed with the lead the 9800 has on the FX. its marginal at best.

Maxvla said:

and by what i have said. i am just not impressed with the lead the 9800 has on the FX. its marginal at best.

Well ignorance is bliss as they say.

OC Noob said:
Like I already wrote, the screen shot I saw was at 16 FPS and that certainly isn't "handling it."

EDIT: The frames ranged from 9-17 for all of the screen shots at. What kind of settings are you using?

Yeah, considering there won't be any leaps in vid card performance untill the r400 and NV35 I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

I don't know what CPU was being used in the test you saw, but my 9700 Pro overlocked to slightly less than the 9800 Pro runs Code Creatures at an average frame rate of 46fps. That is at 1024x768, default settings. Mine handles it just fine, I can't see why the 9800 Pro wouldn't

Maxvla said:

You realize the R9800PRO *doubles* the fps of the FX in some UT2K3 tests, right?

Back