• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9800 Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hope so, but I want to see what the 256MB DDR2 card will do next month. I hope its worth the extra cash.

Well i've JUST got my Hercules 9700 pro ... With all that good cooling im gonna overclock it a ton, then getta 9900 pro [256mb] on there first price drop, prolly about 3-5 months off :)

I am immpressed with the 9800 pro though, I looked at IMPORTANT benchies, 1600x1200 with all the AA and FSA, wasnt it MILES ahead?! why look at benchies of no AF and AA at a low rez if i NEVER play at these anyway!?

why look at benchies of no AF and AA at a low rez if i NEVER play at these anyway!?

Good point my man...Its becoming more reasonable to own a monitor capable of resolutions of more than just the standard 1024x768. I know I certainly play at 1600x1200 now and boy I never knew what i was missing! My decent little 9500 Pro struggles at some points in Unreal II at that res with MAX details and 3D hardware sound on, so AA is out of the question at 1600x1200... that new 9800 Pro with killer Memory bandwidth is looking mighty nice...mighty nice!

It was from that first review. They said they ran it at 1024 x 768, 1280 x 1024 and 1600 x 1200. Those screen shots must have been from a higher resolution run.

Can you download that it for free? I'd like to see it for myseld:)

Blkout said:

I don't know what CPU was being used in the test you saw, but my 9700 Pro overlocked to slightly less than the 9800 Pro runs Code Creatures at an average frame rate of 46fps. That is at 1024x768, default settings. Mine handles it just fine, I can't see why the 9800 Pro wouldn't

All these reviews are making me sooo want an ATI card again. I hope i can hold out for a 9900pro. I still remember my 1st pci Vid card purchase. ATI Rage Fury 32mb. I loved that card for the grafx, but lothed it for drivergame support. I have bought Nvidia since that card. This may be the turning point back to ATI for me. Tick-Tock Tick-Tock

OC Noob said:
It was from that first review. They said they ran it at 1024 x 768, 1280 x 1024 and 1600 x 1200. Those screen shots must have been from a higher resolution run.

Can you download that it for free? I'd like to see it for myseld:)

Yea Code Creatures is free.

JCLW said:
I mean I doubt they are still making the R300 cores. The more time that there are both R300 and R350 cores out there the more time ATI spends competing against itself. The 9500pros will probably be faster then the 9600s (since I believe the 9600s only have 4 pipelines), and most people would probably buy 9700s over 9800s (see Ed's blurb on the front page).

I'm sure they won't run out of R300s for a while because they were reportedly getting such good yeilds, but it's in ATIs best interest to get rid of them as quickly as possible. I doubt they want to end up with a situation like the R200/8500, where they have so many extra cores around that they end up creating a "new" card - the 9100.

- JW

My bad - i had read it wrong then :)

Back