• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon R9 290X artifacts, etc even on boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my system hanged with error "Thread Stuck In Device Driver" several times.

I wasn't even sure if that error existed in Vista and later... This BSOD error code was more common in the early-2000s. Especially my Chaintech CT-7AJA2E motherboard. (for my Athlon T-bird)

I would get that one even when there's no evidence of a bad video card... Running Need For Speed III and keeping it running at the menus for at least approximately 30 minutes caused XP to give me that error often! (back in 2002)

Microsoft was aware of a driver problem for XP, but not with later Windows versions, IIRC:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314215

It appeared to be mostly a Nvidia issue, too.

Because there's evidence of a video card problem, it's gonna have to be chucked or baked!

I'm gearing towards a faulty purchase. Send it back and get a refund.

I was thinking the same thing, faulty card... Just bought all of my parts for micro ATX Skylake build. I held out on the vid card since NVIDIA's gonna release Pascal pretty soon - IGPU it is for now.. I made sure everything was brand new (aside from a 3TB hard drive, which has a warranty) for that very reason.

When idle... your card should lower its core speed and voltage when idle for a bit. Since this only happen on idle, I am wondering if that is where the problem is happening.

Hard to tell, because artifacts and also flickering starts IMMEDIATELY AFTER I turn off Furmark and then black screen. But I'll try somehow.

I was thinking the same thing, faulty card... Just bought all of my parts for micro ATX Skylake build. I held out on the vid card since NVIDIA's gonna release Pascal pretty soon - IGPU it is for now.. I made sure everything was brand new (aside from a 3TB hard drive, which has a warranty) for that very reason.
pretty soon? You have a few months at least...

Back