• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator and fan configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J0ker

Registered
Corsair 760t case
H110igt cooling

So I've been reading and this is how I think I can achieve optimal cooling.

Radiator on top with stock fans pushing air add two more sp fans to pull, run this as intake. Two fans in front of case as intake, bottom fan as intake, and rear fan as exhaust. What're your thoughts / opinions on this?

Also, should I connect case fans to the motherboard or to power supply?

Last edited:
I think you do not have enough exhaust and you are pumping warm(er) air through the case. I am not remotely a believer in chasing after every single degree C for a normal user. With that said, I follow the rule:

front/sides = intake
top/rear = exhaust

Sure, because the radiator is using the (slightly) warmed air temps will not be 'their best', but you will only be a couple of C off assuming you have proper airFLOW (which is what the rule above gives you). The H100iGT won't fit in the front of that case?

EDIT: It does:
Radiator and fan compatibility:
Top: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm
Front: 2 x 140mm or 2 x 120mm (2 x 140mm LED included)
Bottom: 1 x 120mm
Rear: 1 x 140mm or 120mm (140mm included)

Id either leave it up top as exhaust, or put it up front as intake.

Last edited:
I rather have cooler air going through the radiator, if it reaches to the front I'll probably do that

I rather have cooler air going through the radiator
Why? There is no need to chase after every C to bork case airflow IMO.

EDIT: I believe you are also using an AMD FX octo core right? You will want good airFLOW in your case to help keep the VRM's cool... Blowing that warmed air directly on to the motherboard isn't the best idea.

Last edited:
Why? There is no need to chase after every C to bork case airflow IMO.

EDIT: I believe you are also using an AMD FX octo core right? You will want good airFLOW in your case to help keep the VRM's cool... Blowing that warmed air directly on to the motherboard isn't the best idea.

Ok yeah I guess that makes sense. So have top and rear be exhaust, front and bottom be intake?

Yep, that's the standard. You can do it any way you want, but smallish AIO coolers fit well in the top and reach the CPU easy enough. I can see issues using bottom to top cooling with the rad on top exhausting if you have poor airflow and two HOT air cooled GPUs in the case etc. Then it's time to move to full watercooling anyway.

A well ventilated case, the air in and out temp diff should only be 2-4 C at the MAX, and that is within the variability (temp) of the TIM application placed on the CPU.

Are you sure?

Whoa, LOL!!! EDITED!!!!

:rofl: That actually made me laugh. Too funny you two. lmao

Yep, that's the standard. You can do it any way you want, but smallish AIO coolers fit well in the top and reach the CPU easy enough. I can see issues using bottom to top cooling with the rad on top exhausting if you have poor airflow and two HOT air cooled GPUs in the case etc. Then it's time to move to full watercooling anyway.

A well ventilated case, the air in and out temp diff should only be 2-4 C at the MAX, and that is within the variability (temp) of the TIM application placed on the CPU.

+1 :thup:

I was asking myself this same question. For my configuration, putting the radiator in the front of the case as intake, with push/pull fans had the best overall effect on temperature (push/pull fans as I like to keep the fan speeds low for noise.)

Here is the post I put up:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Radiator-Position-and-Fan-Placement-Analysis

The graphics cards are putting more heat into the case than the CPU...this shows the effect of the radiator air coming from the hot GPU air vs. the cooler outside air.

Back