• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 Troubles on Supermicro H8DCE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Digital Alchemi

Registered
Hi,

I set up RAID 0 on my H8DCE system running Win XP Pro and the BIOS setup went fine as well as the RAID setup. This is a video editing machine and I want my 2 SATA 250 gig drives striped. They are both the same model drives.

I finally got the MB to recognize my boot drive (which is SATA as well) but when I boot to Windows, I get to the Windows black screen with logo and blue status bar, and after a few seconds, my computer reboots, never entering the OS.

Also, when I enable SATA RAID for some reason, the MB BIOS doesn't recognize all my hard drives.

1 74GIG Raptor SATA boot drive.
2 80 GIG IDE Maxtor (master)
3 80 GIG IDE Maxtor (slave)
4 250 GIG SATA
5 250 GIG SATA

It only recognizes one of my 80 GIG drives and the 250 GIG RAID.

I finally gave up and just configured the RAID 0 in Windows XP using dynamic volumes.

This is working. I always thought Hardware controlled RAID would be better than software controlled RAID.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

da,

i setup raid 1 on 2x160gb sata1 drives last week at my after school job. did you create and activate all the partitions when you installed xp pro?

when you make the partitions you also need to size them and activate them.

does this sm mobo use the ich5r raid chip? if so, did you f6 and install raid drivers with a floppy?

in cntl+i did you enable raid properly as in the bios?

just some suggestions and thoughts. update your progress.

It almost sounds as if some of the controller BIOSes are not running between POST and OS boot. You may want to check in the system and various controller BIOSes to make sure the boot order is correct and that the controllers are not set to boot when they shouldn't.

Back