• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 5 (5) WD Green 1Tb models - different platters and cache

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HedgeHocker

Registered
I'm looking for some help.

I just ordered and recieved 2 additional Western Digital Caviar Green 1Tb drives to add to my RAID 5 array but discovered too late that they had upgraded the model. The 3 existing same name drives I had originaly are the older model with 4 platters and a smaller 16Mb cache compared to the 3 platter, 32Mb cache on the new ones and who knows what else undiscovered.
I built the array and am migrating the two new disks in on my NVIDIA software RAID mainboard right now... stop?

Question is--what problems will I have if any? Will the array simply use the smaller 16Mb cache on all drives? Is the platter size difference a critical one?
Platter size difference is what I'm most worried about.

If I should return these, please, someone let me know as soon.

I hope you all get what you need for Christmas! Happy Holidays '09

That's a relief.

Thank you.

I can't justify buying another 3 of these just because WD went and improved them. I guess it is a bit like buying only part of a set of furniture and waiting too long to get the rest only to find it was discontinued. An upgrade is an upgrade though and if it causes to harm then it makes no difference at all.

Just a file server and web browser computer. If this were a performance PC I would have a different attitude.

I'm noticing RAID 5 with 5 drives if definatly faster than with 3 drives.

This is what I have:

WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1 (3 platter) ...32Mb cache?
WDC WD10EADS-65M2B0 (2 platter) (32Mb cache) [newest]
WDC WD10EADS-65M2B0 (2 platter) (32Mb cache) [newest]
WDC WD10EACS-00ZJB0 (4 platter) (16Mb cache) [original model]
WDC WD10EACS-00ZJB0 (4 platter) (16Mb cache) [original model]

Confirmed all of this.

Maybe this will help someone else who owns these drives/this drive.

StorageReview.com has a long forum thread on these drives. The admin there claim, in this old thread, that these drives do not vary in speed between 5400 and 7200 based on need but instead always run at 5400. They quote WD saying they actually fixed/set the speed of the drives at an invariable rate in this range instead. Wild accusations and I wouldnt have bought these had I known.

They do save power and Maine has the highest electricity billing in the country (USA) ...I'm sure this is boring.

What do you all do when you upgrade hard drives that are in perfect shape? Ebay?
I'm thinking the "Original" version may really cause a drag on the other drives.

Last edited:
This business practice is currently the worst thing about Western Digital IMHO. They have a habit of introducing updates to existing product lines with minor to no change in model number most likely to help clear back stock. Typically the best deals on hard drives are found online but it is hard if not impossible to know what revision you are going to get other then not getting a very old version.

Personally I would never mix and match drives in hardware raid of any form. Western Digital's customer service is fairly good so you should consider contacting them to see if you can get an advanced replacement on the older drives.

This business practice is currently the worst thing about Western Digital IMHO. They have a habit of introducing updates to existing product lines with minor to no change in model number most likely to help clear back stock. Typically the best deals on hard drives are found online but it is hard if not impossible to know what revision you are going to get other then not getting a very old version.

Personally I would never mix and match drives in hardware raid of any form. Western Digital's customer service is fairly good so you should consider contacting them to see if you can get an advanced replacement on the older drives.

It's a fair customer request but how do you suggest I propose this to them ..I mean how should I ask so they would agree to it?

I'm not sure if they will agree there's any risk involved with me having 3 different generations of the same drive model for RAID. They would likely comment these drives arent for RAID also ..? The drives haven't failed.

I could remark on thier marketing but not sure what that would net me, dude.

I agree with you and it is a fair customer request but I'm sitting here wondering how I should put it, any suggestions?

My array crashed while migrating the two new ones in BTW. I started a new thread for help recovering. Loss of power from an inlaw flipping the breaker box switches. My daughter is visiting from Boston and this was not the best time for this to happen. :temper:

Anyway ..what should I ask of Western Digital? Just need some idea...

Thank you nerdly Sirs :salute:

Any reputable vendor is going to say identical hardware. I work in an enterprise environment and our vendor wont even talk if we have non identical hardware in a raid setup. I am assuming your a small business and this was why you went with the drives. But I doubt you are going to get any remorse from the vendor.

Yes it will work, will it be supported, probobly not.

Sad but true.

Friendly advise...

Since it was caused by a power outage you may be able to just replace the bad drives one by one with all identical hard drives now so you wont have this problem in the future... Also, why wasnt this hooked to a surge protector, line conditioner and UPS?

Any reputable vendor is going to say identical hardware. I work in an enterprise environment and our vendor wont even talk if we have non identical hardware in a raid setup. I am assuming your a small business and this was why you went with the drives. But I doubt you are going to get any remorse from the vendor.

Yes it will work, will it be supported, probobly not.

Sad but true.

Friendly advise...

Since it was caused by a power outage you may be able to just replace the bad drives one by one with all identical hard drives now so you wont have this problem in the future... Also, why wasnt this hooked to a surge protector, line conditioner and UPS?

I have all that you mentioned except a UPS - it broke on me and hasnt been replaced yet.

I've got that Belkin PURE A/V protector and line conditioner.

Yeah I was lamenting the same ..regreting not replacing that ABS sooner now.

Bummer man.

I always go with OneAC UPS units because they have a line conditioner built in, that way I only have to purchase a surge protector. Most UPS units from that company come bundled with a surge protector, line conditioner and ups unit. I think I paid like $300 at the time.

Called OneAC about thier UPS. Will cost me about $698.60 (8 minutes and no soft shutdown or software management) to $1376.00 (I think he said at least one hour and software management to soft shut down). to protect myself from these "brownouts". Thats if I cover both computers in the room and not just the server ..protects the monitors and TV also.

I don't migrate to arrays often though. $698.00 seems like too much. Are they top quality?

WD has offered to replace all the old generations drives to update them to the two new ones. That inclues advance shipment. You can't beat that for customer support.

Depends on the Wattage of the UPS. I typically NEVER put monitors etc on a UPS system for a home/small business. I usually setup the PC to shutdown everything when using the UPS software when a power outage occurs. This is just more of a piece of mind that my hardware/software will be fine when the power outage gets over with. This obviously doesnt allow me to play games, etc on my UPS.

I am old school that way I guess. I use the UPS for what its intended for. To safegaurd your electronics. :) Monitors typically can handle hard shutdowns.

Back