• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID>> is it that hard to do??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leathersmt

I have , in my system now, a 60gig Maxtor 7200rpm, as my primary and OS, and a 100gig IBM 7200rpm, as another storage.
NOw, I have a P4PE, that has a connection place for the raid capabilites. I have assumed that I could , just connect the second 60gig Maxtor 7200rpm that I just bought to that cable place and boot up. NOt so. DOes anyone have any idea how to do this, and is it very hard?
ALSO, I have an older 20 gig Maxtor drive that has info on it, how can I boot it up and see all the info that is on it>?? thank you for any and all suggestion

P4PE 2.53 malay
1024mb 2100 >2samsung 512 memory
Radeon 9700 128mb
Audigy 2 Platinum w/digital 5.1 inspire
60gig Maxtor 7200rpm
100gig IBM 7200rpm

Ok.

I took a look through your motherboard manual, and it looks pretty easy. You will lose everything on your hard drives though, so before you do this, BACK EVERYTHING UP.

Also, if you plan to use RAID1 (mirroring), you will only be allowed to use the first 60 gigs on the second drive.

Plug this in:
100Gig Master
60Gigs Slave
into the Raid slot on your motherboard.

then boot your system. the promise controller should notice the two drives, and ask you what to do with them (you may have to hit a key to get into the raid setup). then just configure the raid in there.

An important thing to note, just incase you dont' know how raid works, if you use RAID0 (striping), and one of the hard disks die, you will lose all of the information, on all of the disks.

After your done configuring, it'll reboot, and then you should be able to install the OS. (you may be required to install raid drivers during OS install.. if it doesn't detect your raid, check your manual/cdrom and see if you can get the driver.)

You have a very nice mobo there :drool:

thank you for the advice and the place to look for help...
Greg
xp pro
dsl
P4PE 2.53 malay
1024mb 2100 samsung 512 memory
Radeon 9700 128mb
Audigy 2 Platinum w/digital 5.1 inspire
60gig Maxtor 7200rpm
100gig IBM 7200rpm

if you have a spare disk which you can fit all the nesicery stuff on install your drivers for the raid (u'v probly done this). Then ghoast all data on the old disk on to the array so you dont lose the data
what u do is...

1 goast the windows and other inportant data to the spare disk

2 conect the other disks that you want in the array and set them up in the arrays config bios.

3 goast the data on the spare disk to the array you must coopy the entire disk for it to be bootable.
restart the system and set the bios to boot the array and not the other disk on myn this means scsi but i'v got a card.

Back