• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raise fan cooling card on card slot one inch or so

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thulsa Doom

I have one of these 3 x 92mm fan cooling cards but one of the fans hits a heat sink on my motherboard. Does anyone have any ideas on how to raise it an inch or so? If it wasn't brand new i might just replace the fans then find a broken fan and cut the bottom off and leave it in the middle where the heatsink hits

61uqyzCAtbL._SX342_.jpg

Not sure how to do that off hand... what make/model is that unit?

That said, you don't need it in the first place. Return/sell/don't use is my take....just more noise for little returns. :thup:

Looks like it would be fairly easy to do with some sheet aluminum and a drill press or a drill in a pinch. But I agree with ED it's not worthwhile. Maybe you could post details about your system (components, case, fan orientation and location, maybe even some pictures) and we could give suggestions to optimize airflow through the case and resolve the reason you bought the thing another way. In other words, why did you buy it in the first place?

I also agree that this is more noise less cooling. It looks like a good idea on paper but has little actual benefit in my experience.

To answer the OP... Maybe just remove the offending fan? Depending on the construction of this unit, maybe pull the fan, create new mounting holes and inch up and reinstall the fan? Just brainstorming here. Maybe my ideas don't work as is but if you build on them you may find a solution.

Further note. This idea has been around for a very long time. It is in no way a new idea. People have generally found no benefit from units like this. I would skip it all together but, if you find that it does exactly what you need and more, that's awesome.

Back