• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hey guys, you know when you buy a board.
Like mine Asus P8Z77-M , it comes with a manual.
It have list of RAM compatibility , but does that mean i only can use this RAM mentioned ? Or any RAM that's compatible with my socket DDR3 and the correct speed / compatible speed 1600 mhz , 1333 mhz etc. Then i be fine ?

any ram will work
But they have to be under the maximum speed

What you meant by " Under the Maximum Speed " ?

Are you saying that the ones on the compatible list on the manual will run on random speed maybe example : 0 - 1333 ( since my current speed is 1333 )

While the others not on the list will run on maximum 24/7 1333mhz ?

all ram have a speed, 1333,1600,1866,2133. your motheboard will run with any ram at those speeds, but no higher speeds (2800mhz).
for everyday use 1600 is enough, 1333 is also ok, over 2133 is just overkill (for normal usage)

@Gh0sT-NoVa
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77M/#specifications
Your board is officially supporting any DDR3 non ECC memory up to 1600. Anything higher will probably work but ASUS won't guarantee that as it's marked as overclocking.
By any memory I mean all that are within JEDEC specification ( so about all available on market ). So memory doesn't have to be on compatibility list and this list only includes modules tested by ASUS.
Other way you can get any memory up to 2133 ( higher is waste of money ) but if you get any issues then ASUS support probably won't help you. Sounds scary but generally there are no problems to run memory up to 2133 on any board.
As polacos said , 1600 is good enough for almost everything and there is no big difference if you go for higher speed modules.
1866-2133 are now optimal just because memory price dropped.

@Gh0sT-NoVa
Your board is officially supporting any DDR3 non ECC memory up to 1600. Anything higher will probably work but ASUS won't guarantee that as it's marked as overclocking.
By any memory I mean all that are within JEDEC specification ( so about all available on market ). So memory doesn't have to be on compatibility list and this list only includes modules tested by ASUS.
Other way you can get any memory up to 2133 ( higher is waste of money ) but if you get any issues then ASUS support probably won't help you. Sounds scary but generally there are no problems to run memory up to 2133 on any board.
As polacos said , 1600 is good enough for almost everything and there is no big difference if you go for higher speed modules.

What's ECC ?

Also RAM that have XMP , meaning its OCable right ?

So long story short , meaning if i get anything like passed 1800 ( if not mistaken or 2133 ) my board won't guarantee to work at that speed instead it work lower then it be waste of my money spending money on such high speed RAM ?

Because im only planning to get a 1600mhz RAM , so i guess im safe.

ECC is Server Ram. Servers use Error Correction among other changes.
There are 2 RAM rating to pay attention to.
Speed and CAS. Usually you will see like DDR3 1600 CAS9 (or C9) The C or CAS stand for timings.
Actual performance is balance of speed and CAS timings.

Manufacturers list RAM tested for compatibility.
Ocassionally an unlisted RAM set will not work, Not usually worth worrying about.
XMP is an Intel specification for controling RAM internally. don't worry about it.

@Gh0sT-NoVa

ECC is Server Ram. Servers use Error Correction among other changes.
There are 2 RAM rating to pay attention to.
Speed and CAS. Usually you will see like DDR3 1600 CAS9 (or C9) The C or CAS stand for timings.
Actual performance is balance of speed and CAS timings.

Manufacturers list RAM tested for compatibility.
Ocassionally an unlisted RAM set will not work, Not usually worth worrying about.
XMP is an Intel specification for controling RAM internally. don't worry about it.

So basically i will have no problem using the Corsair Vengeance LP , 8GB Kit then?

Because from what you said @Woomack it seems like my board can support any brand of RAM, sorry if i didn't get your meaning , my English isn't so good , so i just want to double confirm.

So basically i will have no problem using the Corsair Vengeance LP , 8GB Kit then?

Because from what you said @Woomack it seems like my board can support any brand of RAM, sorry if i didn't get your meaning , my English isn't so good , so i just want to double confirm.

It should be ok with Corsair Vengeance :)

Sweet =)

Tks for the help guys.

I check the compatible list , it does include Vengeance only thing is the code for it its the one with large heatsinks , so i compare the LP ones , they are exactly same specs, only smaller heatsinks and also different item code , so i guess it be alright.

Back