• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram For Asus 990fx 2.0 And Amd 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jshake

Just curious,
Looking to upgrade ram. From reviews and others on this forum.Alot sway toward Munskin Ram. The problem having is the QLV list from Asus does not match what Newegg is selling. I want the fastest ram that is still in sync. With the Asus Sabertooth 990 fx. Does anyone have a Newegg link for Munskin 8GB ( 2x4 ) 2133.
That will work for this board. None listed the QLV.
Thanks

It's impossible for board manufacturers like Asus to test every possible RAM configuration from every RAM manufacturer. Compatible RAM released after the initial board release isn't always tested, and as such won't show up on the QVL. So don't expect that because specific RAM isn't on the QVL it isn't compatible. Is there a problem w/ the G.Skill Ares DDR3-1600 that you're currently using?

No , There is no problem with the G.Skill Ares. I was just looking for faster Ram. The name Munskin kept coming in reviews as one of the top. I was just looking for a little more wiggle room , than I have with the DDR3-1600. I have to stick with a low profile ram because of my heatsink. I may at the moment just stick with the Ares series , Just faster.
Thanks

Getting faster RAM is kinda waste of money for this platform. Even though 1866 is optimal then you won't see big difference even in benchmarks, not saying about 24/7 work.
If you want to make your memory faster then:
1. Try to overclock your ARES sticks that should make or 1600 on tighter timings or up to 1866 memory clock on some more relaxed like 9-10-9, 9-11-9 or 9-11-10 and up to 1.65V.
2. Play some with CPU-NB settings as memory controller speed is limiting factor in this case. There is higher performance difference setting 100-200MHz higher CPU-NB clock than changing memory from 1600 to 1866.

If you really want 2133 then ARES series are quite good. Blue 2133 9-11-10 should be still on Hynix IC that is overclocking above 2400.

From what I have read and heard from different sources is that the AMD FX chips like 1600 to 1866 best, with the "sweet spot" being 1600.

Back