• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram for threadripper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On X370 boards barely any 16GB modules could run above 2666 so I'm not sure but if 128GB is needed then why not as it can run at 2666 and tighter timings.

but this is x399, woomac.
What I can find on my own that says it will work is this, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232640
2 kits per board is OK with me.
looking at all the benchmarking ryzen/threadripper likes faster ram up to 2666 with 2400 being the place where you get the most for the dollar, above that you start to gain less and less with each increase in speed.
I "need" 32 gigs right now, but this is about emulating Georgia powers plant vogtel units #3 and #4.
right now I have 16 gigs and am just starting to produce projects I am having to spilt up between rigs due to this amount of ram and not time to render.

It doesn't really matter what chipset it is. All Ryzens OC about the same. What makes the difference are motherboards. BIOS is the most important.
I'm not saying you won't be able to run it at 3000 as these kits are probably on Samsung IC so should be easier to do that. I guess you won't know for sure till you test it. In the worst case scenario it will run a bit lower but at tighter timings. In best it will go up to 3200+.

I guess I need to hit the buy button on the 128gig kits and just take it as it comes.
here goes the most I have ever spent on ram for a home desktop rig!!!!!!!!!

That is insane price :D can't believe you're buying it, sir!
Isn't it cheaper to buy 32gb kits separately? I'm sure there's a price premium for having 8 matched sticks all in one package

speaking of insane, please look up plant vogtel and report back.

Yes sir, I saw that. Very impressive!! I saw you mentioning that you need 32 gb, so I was curious why go for 128gb.

Pretty cool nonetheless! You don't have to post specifics if it's confidential and all.

I "need" 64, I "want" 128 because that's how georgia power and the georgia public service commission would do it.
this marks my return as amd's biggest fan bouy, amd , all day, amd, all the time, amd everything!!!!!!!!!!
if they still sold amd ram, guess what.

and I sold one of my companies last year and have my first income in about 5 years!!!!!!!!!

I seem to have missed the tie in with the FB rigs and a nuclear power plant, unless you're determined to single handedly keep it up and running. LOL

the tie is the budget debacle.
we, that pay a power bill get butt raped by Georgia power and our public service commission by having to pay Georgia power $100 per year to help pay for the expansion of plant vogtle.
that's 2.5 million payers at $100 per year.
here's a link http://bettergeorgia.org/tag/plant-vogtle/ south Carolina got smart and shut down plant summer, another carbon copy of the butt raping being given by the maggots in politics and Georgia power.
A really big kick in the teeth is that while overseeing these debacles, the president of Georgia power got a 38% pay raise last year..........
you don't have to read everything, just the headlines, they can't manage A budget and project and, so far, neither can I so, these are just getting what ever I want and no thought about budget, just like Georgia power.
I tend to name my rigs after disasters, 2 other rigs are, Deepwater horizon and macondo, the oil rig that exploded in the gulf of Mexico and the oil field it was on, link to that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

On what motherboard it will work?
I can only tell you that Samsung based kits will work up to 3200-3466 but a lot depends on the motherboard. Ballistix Elite / Samsung 4x16GB kit runs on my board up to 3466 stable.

I have X399M Taichi so I guess it will work the same on full ATX Taichi. My board is great. I run memory in quad channel higher than in dual channel on X370/X470 boards.
So far it looks like this:
4x8GB Micron - stable 3600 CL20, max boot+more demanding tests 3733 CL20
4x8GB Samsung - stable 3733 CL18, max boot+some tests 3866 CL16
4x16GB Samsung - stable 3466 CL16, max boot 3600 CL16
I had no Micron based 16GB modules but Kingston Fury is based on Micron and they are selling 3466 dual channel kits https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX434C19FWK2_32.pdf
Samsung higher frequency kits will cost a lot.

many thanks Woomack. 4x16GB Samsung - stable 3466 CL16 that's awesome! :drool:
will mostly be a work machine (RealFlow/Blender) but also want low latency for gaming.
especially for Factorio simulations, which benefits from low latency RAM.

was looking at the Trident-Z and Flare X.

cheers :cheers:

On Ryzen low CL is overrated. If you set higher frequency and work on sub timings then results are also good. It's just because of how Ryzen works. Memory frequency affects both, memory bandwidth and latency. Main timings affect mostly latency on Ryzen. I just say that because even if you won't be able to set tight timings then it's not a big problem. Also if you get non-Samsung IC then sub timings can be tightened about the same as on Samsung. For some reason it's easier to work with Micron on Ryzen than with Samsung or Hynix. New Hynix IC isn't bad too but is scaling like Micron, at high CL like CL16+.

I just like to test all memory IC and I don't really like when people say that Samsung is the only choice when they never tested other IC. Most Ryzen users stick to the theory that Samsung is the only way because they read that on the forums. Well, Samsung is the best, once you know how to set it. Some kits can make a lot of problems but G.Skill in general should be good.

Last edited:
Back