• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM OC Stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sirholg

Registered
Hello.

Been a while since i last posted anything now, and my memory (brain) is somewhat gone astray.
I'm starting to get a bit insterested in OC'ing again, and I'm looking for spot to have them 24\7. GPU will be pushed hard.

I had my RAM sticks clocked to about 3Ghz "stable" for a very long time (6-7months), and i started getting bluescreens while doing random things.
I went back into BIOS and simply tried turning off my OC (RAM only) and my problems stopped. Bluescreens were rare, but annoying as hell when untimely.

Yesterday i decided to crack the case open, clean fans and all that. Set up new profiles for cooling etc..
Now I want to get those sticks running back up at 3Ghz (29XX) and if i recall correctly, my last OC with them ran at 1.240V (standard is 1.200). Tried upping them to 1.280 to avoid any bluescreens.
Worth noting: Sticks passed multiple torture tests in Prime95, Memtest etc with 1.240 last time, but seems to be the cause of bluescreens still?

Bottom line question might be: What Voltage would you give my sticks (look in signature) to run 24\7 on 29XX Mhz?

I'm not going to play with timings yet.

Whatever they need.... :)

Each sticks are different in what it requires. If 1.35v...maybe 1.4v...but it depends in timings, etc.

There are lots of things that can lead to memory instability and, most of the time, the only way you can figure out what you need is with trial and error followed by lots of testing. All of the following things can create memory instability:

• Insufficient DRAM voltage
  • Unstable DRAM voltage
  • Insufficient VCCIO voltage (powers the memory controller in the processor)
  • Memory timings incompatible with each other
  • Memory timings the memory chips won't support
  • Memory timings not compatible with your memory OC speed
  • Motherboard not capable of handling the memory OC speed
  • Memory chip goes bad (doesn't happen very often, but it can happen

When you say you tested your memory before, can you describe exactly how you tested (what software you ran, how long you ran it for, etc...)? There are memory issues that won't show until you've run memory tests over night. I use the PassMark version of MemTest86 (boots of a USB drive) and RAMTest (runs as a Windows program). It's not uncommon that an error shows up 2-4 hours into a test which means I'm not yet entirely stable.

I see that your Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K3 motherboard only claims memory OC support up to 3200 so you're 2933 is getting pretty close to that limit.

If I were you, I'd probably first run a memory stability test at your 2933MHz speed and see if you can see the problem in a test. If you can, then raise the DRAM voltage to 0.2V at a time and test again. If you get up to 1.35V and you still have an issue, then it's not about DRAM voltage, it's about one of the other issues.

Back