• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Hey Overclockers!

I am currently looking to replace my four year old system with a new LGA 1155 system.

Specs of Current system:

Intel Core 2 Duo [email protected] GHZ(stock cooler, of e6550 so no major OC)
EVGA Geforce GTX 260 stock(i burned this card a bit with too high of a clock, has problems keeping memory in check)
Corsair XMS2 6 GB ddr2
ASUS PK5/se-epu
Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB
RAIDMAX Smilodon case w/530 watt PSU(junk psu)

Specs of System of interest:

Intel Sandy Bridge I5 2500k(OC as i go)
A Tuniq CR-T120-EX-SV 120mm Magnetic Fluid Dynamic Bearing Tower Extreme CPU Cooler Rev1 to cool it
(Not going to do MAJOR over clocking, so the D-14 is a bit much and a bit too big for my tastes)
the MB is up in the air, either a ASUS Sabertooth, or a GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked (eventually x2, but cutting costs so i can buy it a month down the road, and have a lower inital build cost)
A WD Caviar black 1TB storage drive
a OCZ VERTEX 2 60 GB(going to get 2/3 eventually to raid them, for OS and main app purposes)
A Kingwin Mach 1 1000w PSU(its the same price as high end 850 watts,+ has a boss modular cable design)
a Cooler Master HAF X
And finally, the Item of interest: 8 GB(2x4gb) of G.skill 2133 mhz Ripjaws X

The question i have is this: How much of an overclock will I need to put on the board to get my ram running at factory settings(2133) opposed to stepped down 1600 mhz.

to my understanding, the way you do Overclocking on the SB series is via multiplier and vcore settings, scratching the FSB Overclocling I am used to.

*edit: This is solely a gaming rig, and noise is a factor for me. Let me know if the EVGA DS series are loud, they are rather new, and the 5k rpm of the old version scared the hell outa me.

The CPU doesn't need to be overclocked in order to run the RAM at DDR3-2133. At the default BCLK of 100 either select the 21.33 option (= Memory Frequency (MHz) of 2133) from the System Memory Multiplier (SPD) options in the Gigabyte BIOS, or DDR3-2133MHz from the Memory Frequency options in the Asus BIOS.

The CPU doesn't need to be overclocked in order to run the RAM at DDR3-2133. At the default BCLK of 100 either select the 21.33 option (= Memory Frequency (MHz) of 2133) from the System Memory Multiplier (SPD) options in the Gigabyte BIOS, or DDR3-2133MHz from the Memory Frequency options in the Asus BIOS.

Thank you for the quick reply. When I was looking though the boards, they stated in the memory standard 2133*OC/1866*OC/1600/1333/1066, so that confused me, Haven't ever had to buy a MOBO myself (although I have a plethora of experience building computers, Not once have i had to pick the parts to build it. technically, my first solo build coming up) When I go to buy the PC, I'll let ya know if i have any further questions.

Thanks again!

Back