• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM recommendation for Acer Aspire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

The kids' laptops are currently using a 1x4gb module, I want to expand to 8GB, not sure what sticks are desirable for this laptop. Also dont know if its dual or single channel.

Laptop Model #: ES1-572-37X2

Should I go with 1x8gb or 2x4gb? I currently cannot access this site with the laptop, so here's a cpu-z screenshot..or a pic of a pic..lol.

Attachments

• 20181024_124905.jpg
    20181024_124905.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
Looks like a single stick of DDR3 1600 in there at the moment. I'd just open up the laptop to see if you have another ram socket or not as that will dictate the options available. If another free, get another 4GB module. If not, you'd have to replace with an 8GB.

There is a spare slot avail, I wasn't sure if I needed to keep the modules matched if going with a 2x4GB configuration. If single channel then I suppose I wouldn't benefit any from a 2x4GB over a 1x8GB?

I'm attaching this from the 2nd laptop to see if this works...the other laptop would not attach files.

Attachments

• cpuz-3.jpg
    cpuz-3.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Match the speed, timings, and voltage, yes.

You want to run dual channel. You can lose performance in single.

Copy that.

Sorry for the basic questions, but I assume that once two modules are present that it will resort to running dual channel?

Test pic from 1st laptop.

I think I have that issue licked... :)

Attachments

• cpuz-1.jpg
    cpuz-1.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 76
I would remove the module from one laptop and add it to the other since they are using the same memory it looks like. Then I would buy a matched pair of DDR3 1600 for the first one. Be aware that laptop RAM comes in standard and low voltage versions. The low voltage modules will have "L" in the model number. The laptops will likely use either kind. Just don't mix them.

Last edited:
I would remove the module from one laptop and add it to the other since they are using the same memory it looks like. Then I would buy a matched pair of DDR3 1600 for the first one.

I did think about that, and I should have at least tried that first....could have possibly saved about $65.

However, in my slight defense, we bought these laptops at the same time, same model, but one had a Seagate HDD, and one had a Toshiba...who knows what else could have been different.

I did end up with the Crucial 2x4GB... http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct51264bf160b

The RAM along with the 860 EVO SSD, and these laptops are a completely different animal. Streaming, video playback, Netflix, etc...everything is quick and seamless.

I timed 5 boots for Win10, each power off boots, roughly between 2-3 sec for the Acer logo, and 12-13 sec to be able to enter password from when I hit the power button. Everything I ask them to do they do it right now, no hesitation or hang ups.
Overall I'm very happy with these Acers now..kids are too. I thought the dual-core i3 would possibly be a bottleneck but as of now I have no issues. Of course I'm not rendering HD video while watching movies..lol, but for 95% of what we need them for they are excellent.

I appreciate all the input. :thup:

Any performance tests I can run for them? :cool:

Performance tests would seem to be irrelevant. The proof is in the pudding of what they are used for in real life.

Back