• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Speed Causing crashes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zoned87

Hi,

I'm a very tech savvy person but at the same time I know very little especially when it comes to overclocking and editing bios. I have just build a new system but I have been running into BSOD and programs crashing. I believe this is because I haven't edited my DDR3 RAM timings and voltages yet.

Here are my specs:
1. Intel Core i7-3930K
2. Corsair H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
3. ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79
4. Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200
5. Corsair Obsidian Series 650D case
6. EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video
7. G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
8. SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

In BIOS it was running it on 1333 speed for my 1600 speed RAM so I manually put it to 1333 for now. I'm still getting programs to crash - not yet sure if I will BSOD. Does this sound like a memory problem?

I'm a person who needs to bounce off ideas to learn so if possible please message me on AIM zoned87. Skype: eeee.money if you can help me. If not I understand and hopefully on the forums can help. I have a lot of questions in my mind so anyone who can chat would really help a ton of my problems. Thank you.

Thanks! Let me know what else you may need.

Attachments

• E2xyQ.png
    E2xyQ.png
    74 KB · Views: 133
What voltage are you running the ram at? I assume 1.5v. Have you tried running with fewer than four sticks to see if perhaps you have some bad ram?

I believe it is 1.5v or whatever is on auto in BIOS. Any way we can chat this may be much faster that way. I will try and remove sticks right now but I don't know how I can test to see if it is working. On top of all of this when I play CS:GO it will freeze from time to time but my GPU is staying in the 70C range. It hasn't really been BSODing too often for me to figure out what is going on.

my work and home life are so hard to predict it is almost impossible for me to know when I will be online, so chatting isn't as easy as I wish it was. Also, my knowledge level is pretty low. I am assuming you are using a windows 7 OS, if so you can try this and then you can report back with an image of the BSOD http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

You can also try a program called BlueScreenView which may help you determine what is causing the BSOD, it may not be the Ram.

Have you tried running only 2 sticks of RAM? Alternating slots? Have you tried running Memtest? I am at work right now so I can't spend too much time on this now, hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable than I am may chime in, otherwise I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Running 2 sticks right now. It seems to be fine. I was going to run mem test but I don't know how. I run the iso and run my computer for the day? Can i use my computer while it runs or do I leave it on over night? Should I run mem test with all sticks or just 2?

running 2 sticks I haven't had any programs crash or it BSOD on me all day.

Back